What's new
What's new

Shaper to vertical slotter conversion ?

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Seriously entertaining the idea of trying to "convert" my good old 12" P&W shaper into a vertical slotter by rotating the whiole thing 90 degrees so the ram reciprocates vertically.
The gears and drive are in excellent shape.
Thinking It might need a cable and pully systen with moving counterweight to "float" the weight of the ram ...
Any thoughts or experiences along this idea ?
Thanks,
Dave Lawrence

The orientation of the ram isn't what makes a slotter a slotter. You will still be missing the work surface at 90 degrees to the ram, the rotary table, and the ability to angle the ram relative to the work surface. If you really want a slotter, buy a slotter. Sell your P&W to someone who wants it for what it is. And P&W called them a vertical shaper, their reasoning being the clapper box was so good it could do the same class of work as a horizontal shaper.

First question would be why? You should be able to do any work a slotter of that size could do with an angle plate and a rotary table.

If you really need a small slotter, Douglas made a nice 12" machine and they turn up now and again. Garvin did as well.

Andy

Here you go, this one was for sale earlier this year in NZ...a good bit of alternative thinking

For slotting keyways, 2-axis table, seller said it worked well. It looks like the shaper cross slide etc. was used to make the 2-axis table.

I asked the seller "Do you need a brake to hold the ram up, when you stop?"

Answer: "Not if you stop the head at the top of its stroke, it has a good feel to the clutch so its easy to inch the head to TDC or there abouts. Its never been a problem in the 25 years since we made it up".

Shaper as slotter 01.jpg Shaper as slotter 02.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go, this one was for sale earlier this year in NZ...a good bit of alternative thinking

For slotting keyways, 2-axis table, seller said it worked well. It looks like the shaper cross slide etc. was used to make the 2-axis table.

Answer: "Not if you stop the head at the top of its stroke, it has a good feel to the clutch so its easy to inch the head to TDC or there abouts. Its never been a problem in the 25 years since we made it up".

View attachment 372561 View attachment 372562
I wonder how the sump/oiling system worked...

View attachment 372561 View attachment 372562
Was the shaper bolted to the wall? I can't see how that steel framework would provide enough rigidity to take much of a cut.

Back