What's new
What's new

Sharp Sv2414 (sv2412) manual tool change

sportbikeryder

Plastic
2012 Sharp SV2414s 16t carousel tool changer, Fanuc Oi-md.

Has anyone figured out how to do a manual tool change in a Sharp vmc with Fanuc control? I have a project using long drills and boring tool and can't load them into the tool changer carousel.

I have not found a way to manually load the tools, other than perhaps leaving an empty pocket and setting the machine to op stop. While this works, the op stop occurs at every tool change.

Just checking to see if I am missing something that may be built into the Sharp machine tool builder programming before diving into potential sub / ladder modifications to accommodate manual changes and/or tool numbers greater than 16.

John

Have you tried to do an MDI tool change to T17? Not sure on fanuc, but my milltronics TC macro knows that if you call a tool # greater than what the changer holds then it is a manual tool change. I can use up to 99 tools but my TC only holds 12.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Have you tried to do an MDI tool change to T17? Not sure on fanuc, but my milltronics TC macro knows that if you call a tool # greater than what the changer holds then it is a manual tool change. I can use up to 99 tools but my TC only holds 12.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks cb750Chris, I have as I assumed it would work...and it throws an error when doing so.
I've read the manuals, searched around, etc. Seems odd to me that a manual change isn't supported/built in. If I don't get any leads, I'll likely look at modifying to accommodate.

As Rick also suggested, I use tool Number 1 as a dedicated swap tool. I handle the toolchange logic on the cam side which looks like...
(if called tool # > # Carosol Spots ->>> change to tool number 1 - insert M00 - prompt operator to insert called toolnumber)

I imagine this could also be turned into a gcode subcall on the machine if you don't want to mess with modifying your post that much.

Thanks cb750Chris, I have as I assumed it would work...and it throws an error when doing so.
I've read the manuals, searched around, etc. Seems odd to me that a manual change isn't supported/built in. If I don't get any leads, I'll likely look at modifying to accommodate.

I know your pain. I have modified the tool change program on my Fanuc OM and Fanuc 18m mills to accommodate problems such as this one.

Long story short, I added logic in the tool change program to check to see if the next tool is a manual tool or auto tool. If it turns out the current tool is an auto tool and the next tool is a manual tool, the machine clear the spindle by changing to tool zero, then stop with a message "insert manual tool T#". Then the operator will have to put the machine handle mode to put the correct tool in the spindle before continuing. When going to a manual tool to an auto tool, the machine will stop with a message 'Remove manual tool'. Then the operator will have to put the machine in handle mode to remove the tool before continuing. The thing I don't like about this method is I haven't figured out a way to lock the machine until it detects that the spindle has been clamped/unclamped singling that the operator has made the tool change so it would be possible to press cycle start and continue the program even though no tool change had been performed.

But given the alternative that the Fanuc machines have no way to accommodate such things, I take my chance.

I can go into greater detail if you like if you think this might be a solution for you.

Thanks guys. I have thought about similar post changes. I think in this case it will also require some changes to the internal tool change sub call to prevent op stop from stopping at all tool changes. Using M00 should work. As for restarting the program without inserting a tool, I'll take that up with the operator (me)

It is odd to me that the MTB doesn't have a built in manual tool change option.

........But given the alternative that the Fanuc machines have no way to accommodate such things, I take my chance.......

Not a Fanuc issue, but a machine builder issue. The machine builder is responsible for all behavior and logic with regards to toolchanges on a Fanuc controlled machine. If the machine builder did not think that users would want to do a manual toolchange, they aren't going to include that ability in their ladder logic program. It is also very likely that they do not include that ability due to liability concerns. When someone running the machine forgets to properly load or unload the tool in a manual operation and something is damaged as a result, the builder can say the machine was being run outside of their designed functions.

Thanks guys. I have thought about similar post changes. I think in this case it will also require some changes to the internal tool change sub call to prevent op stop from stopping at all tool changes. Using M00 should work. As for restarting the program without inserting a tool, I'll take that up with the operator (me)

It is odd to me that the MTB doesn't have a built in manual tool change option.

I vote for the modification of the tool change program at the machine to handle this issue for two reasons. First, you wouldn't have to worry about any special modification when programing a manual tool if the tool chance cycle can handle this automatically. Just write the program like you normally would and let the Tool Change Macro handle the rest. This method would also cause very little modifications to your post processor to work. The second reason is that if you want to preform a tool change normally at the machine, you wouldn't have to write a bunch of code to make it work. Manual tool changes during machine setup would be a breeze. But I do understand the hazard that this can cause. But you gotta due what you gotta due.

Not a Fanuc issue, but a machine builder issue. The machine builder is responsible for all behavior and logic with regards to toolchanges on a Fanuc controlled machine. If the machine builder did not think that users would want to do a manual toolchange, they aren't going to include that ability in their ladder logic program. It is also very likely that they do not include that ability due to liability concerns. When someone running the machine forgets to properly load or unload the tool in a manual operation and something is damaged as a result, the builder can say the machine was being run outside of their designed functions.

Thank you for your honest explanation of issue. I just wish machine tool builders were better at accommodating this issue instead of putting this hassle on the operator. I get the feeling that no cares about him some days....................

Back