What's new
What's new

Shipping a granite surface plate?

ISEN AG

Aluminum
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for shipping a granite surface plate. I have called around a few places after getting online quotes and when we get to what i am shipping and I mention it’s a granite surface plate they immediately say they do not ship granite and thats the end of it. Has anyone shipped a granite surface plate and what if anything do you recommend I do to move forward with getting this shipped?

The shippers probably refused because its likely to get delivered in pieces.
I suppose if you crated it with some good packing, lie and say its a rock and take your chances ?
They are obviously shipped around the world to suppliers.

Last edited:
I’ve shipped granite several times with no problems. Don’t recall mentioning what it was. Shipping folks were more interested in weight and deck space.

Standridge Granite ships their 24x36x4 plates on pallets with a very thin plywood cover mostly for weather protection. If you're dealing with something like a 48x96x10 plate, you should be talking to riggers rather than freight companies.

Standridge Granite ships their 24x36x4 plates on pallets with a very thin plywood cover mostly for weather protection. If you're dealing with something like a 48x96x10 plate, you should be talking to riggers rather than freight companies.
In other words, it depends upon the size of the surface plate. About twenty years ago, I got a used Starrett 18 x 18 granite plate on eBay and it came in a paper box by UPS. In 1979, I bought a new Starrett 30" granite straight edge from a local mill supply house, but it is still in the wood crate that Starrett shipped it in.

Larry

Rectangular remnant of new carpet on pallet board. Surface plate upside down sitting on carpet. Stand upside down sitting on surface plate. Steel banding. Ship the pallet and label it shop furniture.

I ship a lot of $$$ stuff built on slabs of granite. For this case I would screw & glue a sheet of plywood to a pallet. Then place some layers of the thin white rolled foam down that is slightly smaller than the granite. Place a sheet of large plastic down next. Place the granite on top and wrap with the plastic sheet. Tape plastic to seal. Screw/glue 2x4 on three sides of the granite to prevent it sliding sideways. Screw the last 2x4 only as that is the one you will remove to slide it out at the destination. Cover with sheets of cardboard, Add a piece of plywood, band in place. Overkill? Probably. But my stuff gets there intact.

San Antonio does have several shipping companies that ship out of there. I've picked up shipments from there many times over the years. The only one I had issue with is the one that has those "bright yellow" trailers. Can't recall the name, I would suggest staying away from them! The others are okay.

If you are not shipping across the Mississippi, check out Fastenal Freight. They have two divisions, but will not ship across the country.
I just saved about 50% on an LTL 200# shipment compared to Freight Quote. Service was quick and efficient- dropped off at the Fastenal branch here and they picked it up at the Fastenal branch there. Put it in a crate and its probably ok- they list prohibited items on the website. Its called Blue Line Freight.

Back