What's new
What's new

shipping an FP2NC table from Germany to California

rimcanyon

Diamond
Any suggestions on a freight forwarder? I found a table in Germany I want to buy for my fp2nc, but the seller does not want to ship to USA. I checked with Peter, and it would double the cost of the table. Any other options?

Last edited:
When I bought a table plus slotting head for my Aciera F-5, the shipping and brokerage indeed doubled the cost, from $1200 to $2400. It was worth it to me, and I view it as a buy once, cry once situation.

In this case its more than double: $2550 to $5500 - $6000. The forwarding is quoted as $1500 plus $250 crating plus $200 customs papers plus $1000 to $1500 shipping.

Better look for the old analog one (2037 table), with dividing plates instead of the electronic readout.
2038 table with electronic encoder was big disappointment for me, totally inaccurate readout.

Better look for the old analog one (2037 table), with dividing plates instead of the electronic readout.
2038 table with electronic encoder was big disappointment for me, totally inaccurate readout.
Depends on your table and how well its adjusted! Have had a number of these tables and they have been accurate within my ability to test.
There are variants. There is for example a version of the 2038 table that has a 7000 line encoder for the table rotate, and later versions that have 9000 count encoders....they will have differing accuracy.(no "V")
Also the encoder can be the victim of dirt and dust...scale sits flat horizontal and can pick up dirt that makes the readings erroneous, and as far as i know the table readout is not error checked like the linear axis scales.
Finally, the readings are the combination of two pickups that are summed at 90*. There is adjustment needed to balance those outputs so that the readings are accurate.(need "O" scope to do this or real HH test equipment)

Cheers Ross

Items weighing a couple of 100kgs and costing a couple of 1000 are relatively costly to ship
Too heavy for air which is much easier in terms of documents And by boat as a LCL is a bigger hassle with documents

Peter

Other than forwarding seeming a little high, the rest of the charges didn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Check with these guys- they ship cars in containers all over the world. I've shipped an engine block to Australia using them and it went very well.
Dropped it off in a crate and they did everything.

West Coast Shipping
1200 Wright Avenue
Richmond
California 94804

++ on Kuehne-Nagel. A few years ago I shipped an 1800kg grinder from Switzerland to Germany with them. Fast, inexpensive, and competent. Photos of the delivery are here:

++ on Kuehne-Nagel. A few years ago I shipped an 1800kg grinder from Switzerland to Germany with them. Fast, inexpensive, and competent. Photos of the delivery are here:
You cannot compare this LCL with a shipment from Germany to Switserland
Not by far

I was the one who did that rough qalculation in post 3
Doing a LCL involves a lott of work I can tell you
A.o.
Arrange shipping from Germany to my place and pay for it
Order for a crate
Pack it in that crate with VCI foil
Arrange a LCL
In my experience that produces over 100 e-mails back and forward
Then some invoices Loading Unloading E-mails to the forwarder Sending over some pictures of the crating And then some more
As I am a machinery dealer not a forwarder I cannot act like one by law So if I do this I must on paper at least make a credible profit
That is also why I have to pay for the machine directly Not the importer
If I sell a machine from my own I am happy to do all this for free But then at least I have a credible profit (I hope :D )

If you have a more expencive machine to ship and the seller does not want to go through all the hassle of exporting then I can be of better help
Because many times (not always)as a dealer I can get some discount That can pay part or all of my expenses

Peter

Last edited:
I did Google the question of why LCL shipping is so expensive between Europe and USA. The overwhelming reason cited is still the pandemic, also the long term supply chain ripples caused by the Suez canal blockage for a week in March 2021 by Ever Given. However, I also searched for the current cost to ship a full 20’ container from Europe to US, and it was actually less than what Peter quoted for the Deckel table, although there might be a lot of hidden fees not quoted for the container and for pickup and delivery.

I did Google the question of why LCL shipping is so expensive between Europe and USA. The overwhelming reason cited is still the pandemic, also the long term supply chain ripples caused by the Suez canal blockage for a week in March 2021 by Ever Given. However, I also searched for the current cost to ship a full 20’ container from Europe to US, and it was actually less than what Peter quoted for the Deckel table, although there might be a lot of hidden fees not quoted for the container and for pickup and delivery.
Yes I know a full container is cheap in comparison to a LCL
But inland transport on both sides is way higher then
So if a customer would buy 2 machines I definitly check that option
Cheapest way would be a couple of you guys team up and buy a full container of machines here
That involves a lott of arranging
And Inland transport in the US is skyhigh anyhow

Peter

You could try Lamprecht: https://www.lamprechtusa.com/

They are a small privately held Swiss logistics provider with several USA offices. I've used them 3 times with good results and fair prices. One thing that sets them apart is that they consolidate and load their own containers...which for the most part means that crating is not necessary...palletization is good enough. Inland is probably killing you on east coast ports. They have a San Francisco office...might be worth giving them a try?

Remember you're not obligated to hire your shipper to do your customs brokerage. Sometimes you can save a fair bit by hiring a 3rd party customs brokerage house like https://www.eezyimport.com/. If you can get your merchandise under $2500 USD you can do an informal entry and save the cost of the customs bond. You can even do the entry yourself in person if you are near the Customs and Border Patrol offices for the port of entry. I have done both...not for the faint of heart but fun and educational for those of us who try to scratch out every savings possible :giggle:

Last edited:
Call DHL and see what they would want. A couple of times I have been pleasantly surprised, other times not, but it’s only a phone call.

Pr
Call DHL and see what they would want. A couple of times I have been pleasantly surprised, other times not, but it’s only a phone call.
Problem is that the seller does not want to export it it seems Or crating it So another transport compagnie is not going to help It involves another party in Europe to purchase the table and pay for it Have it transported to his location Put it in a certified crate and then ship it to the buyer
Its not simply the cost of transport

Peter

I had read and sort of forgotten that, but on rereading it wasn’t clear if the seller didn’t want to ship period, or just to US. If the latter there might be some room for negotiation. I could envision ordering a certified crate for delivery to the seller, having them pack it, then having DHL or similar pick it up. If the seller was willing to ship within Europe this would be less work as the crate would appear ready made on their doorstep.

Back