What's new
What's new

Shipping options for larger palletized machine?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I am looking at getting a crated machine shipped from Oregon to Md.

10’ long, 5’ wide, 4’ high at ~1800 pounds.

I have tried the Uship site for a baseline quote and it gets kicked out for size I guess.

What is the next step to try and pin down a carrier?

Thanks all

Personally I have found that calling the shipers usually yields a better rate on machines than an online system, and you are far likely to get an add on charge afterwards.

Good luck.

personally I'd be googeing independent carriers in that area. Get proof of insurance and go direct to the trucker.
(edit: I may be spoiled to my area of the country but everybody from here to Odessa knows, is related to, or lives near a guy with a couple of big rigs.

Thanks guys.
Real PITA to be too far away to just head over with a trailer.
This is out of a home shop so lots in the way of getting this done.
The seller will crate which is the only thing I have going for me.
I think this is too large/heavy for lift gate so it might be a no go in the end.

Contact a LandStar broker about a LTL load, if you can get someone to load/unload for you. I have had LTL picked up and delivered at riggers at each end, and the riggers loaded the truck. Fairly cheap, since the riggers don't have to do anything but store it until the truck arrives/departs.

Ok.
On my end I have everything to get unloaded from the truck.
I will call around and see if there is a rigger close to the seller who can load.

find a freight broker. they will book you space on a flatbed, by the foot. A whole 40 foot trailer if you need it, or just ten feet, but sometimes for shorter stuff, you get a "hotshot", which is a 1 ton pickup hauling a fifth wheel trailer, commercially.
I have shipped a lot of big stuff, over the years, I always used a freight broker from Oregon, I am sure there are some closer to you. They book direct with owner operators, which, these days, include a huge amount of Russians and Ukranians, for some reason. Its much better than common carrier, because it goes on one truck, and stays on that truck straight to you. When I was doing really big projects, I would load, then fly to the destination, meet the truck, rent a forklift or hire a crane, and unload on site. NO damage from being pushed from truck to dock 3 or 4 times across the country.
If its not wrapped or crated, you can request a covered wagon- thats a 40' or 53' flatbed, with a rolling canvas and steel tube roof that they roll over the load after its strapped down.
Google "freight brokers near me". I know, it sounds silly, but it will probably work.

If you want it to go flatbed, call Kim at IMOK freight.

Kim Buchwalter
I.M.O.K. Freight, Inc.
6150 Fletcher Chapel Road
South Charleston, OH 45368
888-403-1917 Toll Free
937-322-1917 Office

If you feel it's crated well enough that the standard dry van LTL companies can handle it, call Pamela Hussey at Priority1 freight.

Pamela Hussey
Senior Territory Sales Manager
mobile: 470-989-7437
email: [email protected]
address: 9040 Roswell Road #100
Atlanta GA 30350

You're going to need a rigger on the sellers end. Brokers don't handle that, so you'll have to find that separately.

Total Quality Logistics (freight broker) has a division now that will handle trucking and unloading on one end or both ends as needed.
Reason I know is we do a lot of rigging jobs for them in the Nashville area.

Total Quality Logistics (freight broker) has a division now that will handle trucking and unloading on one end or both ends as needed.
Reason I know is we do a lot of rigging jobs for them in the Nashville area.
Just make sure you use a burner phone, they'll have a new sales guy calling every two weeks till eternity.

Just make sure you use a burner phone, they'll have a new sales guy calling every two weeks till eternity.
THIS! lol F*** that place! I tried so many times to block them, and ask to be removed from the list. Took years..

In ten years or so shipping a machine like this across the country will be cheap and easy. The seller can load on to a self driving box truck and it will show up at your shop in a few days. With no driver to pay costs will drop like a rock.

THIS! lol F*** that place! I tried so many times to block them, and ask to be removed from the list. Took years..
Freight quote (CH Robinson) is the same way. Also took years, and I still dread calls from Kansas.

I use Priority 1 for LTL, and so far, they've been great about not calling.

Back