What's new
What's new

Shipping options?

DLevo

Plastic
Trying to figure out how to handle shipping for a small shop. Is the general approach to open business accounts with different logistics providers like UPS, Fedex, etc.? Are there any specialized 3PLs for manufacturers offering better rates and service? What's the best way to get and compare quotes across different providers?

I dont know any specifically for manufacturing but you may want to check out pirateship for an all in one discount prices shipper. If your selling on ebay they have there own shipping discounts that are just better or equal to pirateship from what I have seen.

I also have found if I can keep my parts or items under 50 lbs the flat rate boxes from the post office especially the bubble mailers are pretty good on cost vrs size & weight. You just need to make sure your packing is secure. Metal parts can wear a hole into a bubble mailer quickly with the shuffling around the post office does.

Everyone I deal with has a UPS account and has me ship things out on their account. I never pay for shipping.

Don’t you add shipping costs to the invoice?
Why bother shopping around.
If you add shipping to your invoice do you charge for shipping as part of a down payment or at completion? Do you get paid right when the job is done or does the customer use you as there bank? It seems with most of my customers the bigger they are the slower they are to pay. net15,30? some want longer even 90. I shopped around until I got a pretty good idea of shipping prices for weight in my head from the shippers.

You can charge to a customers ups account if you ship to the same customer often. its a good way to just print a label. I would think you could do the same with other shippers.

If your customers don't have a shipping account look into using an ecommerce shipping platform like Go Shippo. Their rates are better than anything I was able to get from UPS, FedEx, etc...

Set up accounts with UPS, FedEx, and if you ship internationally DHL. You'll want all of the above to easily ship on customers accounts.

We use ShipStation, which is linked to all of the above and USPS as well. Website orders feed straight into it, and when we are paying for shipping (like anodizing) you can create the package and then can compare rates (without wasting time entering the same package three times).

Another vote for Pirate Ship. I have discrete accounts with FedEx and UPS (both accounts over 14 years old) and can't get remotely close to the rates I get with Pirate Ship (only UPS and USPS).

Back