What's new
What's new

Shop Lighting needed.

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I have a dark spot at the end of the building where the garage door blocks when it is open. I recently wired up a few machines further down the building and am in need of some overhead lighting. We cannot ount on the ceiling due to the door hanging in the way.

My idea is a parking lot style lamp that I can move next to a machine and have the light sit over the working area.

I was going to get some job site lighting on a T stand but they looked like they were 1250 watt hallogen, or low lumen LED. I wasnt impressed, surely there is something out there.

7'-8' high, over hanging like a shower head. Anyone have any ideas? I have 10' ceilings with a wide garage door. It gets very dark in an area where I can run 2-3 machines (if I can see what I am doing).

I have a regular 65w light bulb from the 90's close to the garage door, but when the door opens up and springs beyond where it sits when opened all the way it hits and explodes the bulb (great engineering)

Not quite following what you need but youCould put some thin lights on a jib boom arm that can swing out of the way. I have a swinging outlet setup about 8’ reach. over my welding table so i dont have to run extension cords be very simple to mount some lights to something like 5hat.

I have some pallet racking on one wall, I could make a lamp post off of it or something. A swinging setup like that I didn't think of before.

Some of these machines have older fluoro bulbs mounted to the machine that you can swing around and move where you want it. Those bulbs done last long with oil splashing around. Doesn't do much for anything other than the work area on the machine either.

Something like this?
DSCF1212.jpg
2 inch tube attached to back of machine Pivots on bolt thru swing arm and bottom of brace arm. Counter weight highly recommended.

4 foot LED replacement shop lights screwed to the door. 6 foot cord+ whatever the distance from wall to door is, pivoted at the center point of horizontal door travel.

I have the same problem, my solution was using clip on lights on shelving that was near by. Not the greatest but good enough as there is only a screw machine in that area and I just need good light to change the guide bushing.

I took a 6 bulb high bay T5 with mirror reflectors and mounted it vertically on one of those cheap light stands that hold the two lamps.

Lots of light.....:D

Isn't a permanent fixture in the shop but solved the light issue we had at the time.

I took a 6 bulb high bay T5 with mirror reflectors and mounted it vertically on one of those cheap light stands that hold the two lamps.

Lots of light.....:D

Isn't a permanent fixture in the shop but solved the light issue we had at the time.

Until you walk towards it to shut it off.....oooof.

String a metal rope wall to wall just under the door. Attach led lights and power cables to the metal rope.Or use those lights on a string seen at car dealers.
Bill D

The lighting in my shop is terrible. Just 2 lousy vapor lights. I welded up a small frame to hold an LED shop light above each of my machines and tapped in to one leg of the three phase power supply. I got the lights at COSTCO for $20 each on sale.

I don't care if that other light has SnapOn's name on it , that's a ridiculous price . I bought some LED 65 watt 5000K 8000 lumens for $ 80.00 & some 100 watt 4000 K 14,000 Lumens for @ $ 90.00 from the big A . I got 2 different wattages cause I have a sloped ceiling . Mount a light or 2 on your door for when its open or string something across the door tracks & hang some lights on that . I think I paid like $ 7.00 more per light for a 7 year extended warranty . I have @ 1200 sq ft with 2 lights @ 19 ft & the other 2 @ 11 ft & they litght up my whole shop . 1200 feet for 330 watts.
animal

We just made our lights come off of a piece of conduit that we attached to the bolt hole for lifting our machine. We used a piece of angle iron to hold the conduit that we bent and used a shoulder bolt so we can turn or swing the light when we need to.

Our two manual mills are next to each other so there 8 foot light hangs between them. (can swing the light to an extreme side if needed.

The bridgeport cnc has two bolt holes for lifting so we where able to come off with two pieces and a 4 foot light just for that mill.
I know I need LED lights some day but I got a massive amount of free bulbs when a different shop was switching over.
Vincent

Attachments

• Resized_20220804_164046.jpeg
    Resized_20220804_164046.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20220804_164100.jpeg
    Resized_20220804_164100.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 17

Back