What's new
What's new

Shop Management Software/Planning Advice

Mross506

Aluminum
We are a small fab shop within a larger manufacturing company that is growing quickly. We need a simple software system that allows us to track parts and assemblies thru the process. Since we do not sell our product it does not need to include ERP capabilites. Just an interactive whiteboard that can break down the projects into smaller tasks would be great.

There are currently 6 employees working on a $500,000 Unwind project that we are struggling to keep track of where each component is in the process and assign it out to the tech. I have done some research thru past threads but most systems seem to either be excel based or a high end ERP system. I'm also open to any advice on keeping track of these larger projects in any way that is better than have 35 prints spread across the Supervisors desk.

Thanks gents!

I believe this is what Microsoft Project is targeted for. Don't know the software very well though. Throughout my career I've made it a point to stay as far away from project managers as possible!

At my new job we are getting ready to implement AllOrders. I have done two implementations at previous jobs and the best thing about it was everybody using it at both companies loved it. One had 14 seats, one had 5. Unlike the software they chose at my last job instead. 6 months in and I hadn't heard a single person happy with it, only complaints.

It was an addon to Quickbooks but runs standalone and you don't need QB. I always laugh when someone tells me they don't have inventory. That box of gloves everyone loved that no one knows where they came from? That's inventory, like the box of bolts you bought to get just two. We tracked EVERYTHING we purchased, obsoleted what we no longer used or liked and it never gets purchased again. Last year I needed a part for a customer on a system that was built 7 years prior at a previous job. I called my friend there and asked what pump was used. It took him all of 30 seconds to nail down exactly the right pump and part number. He laughed and said "Do you remember when that question took half a day to answer?"

We are a small fab shop within a larger manufacturing company that is growing quickly. ..... Just an interactive whiteboard that can break down the projects into smaller tasks would be great. ......we are struggling to keep track of where each component is in the process and assign it out to the tech. I have done some research thru past threads but most systems seem to either be excel based or a high end ERP system. I'm also open to any advice on keeping track of these larger projects in any way that is better than have 35 prints spread across the Supervisors desk.
Sorry for my belated response to your inquiry. In my opinion, one of the intelligent software tools that can precisely meet your requirements is Schedlyzer Lite which is neither an Excel application not a full blown ERP package. However, it requires daily updates of work progress on shop floor. A brief YouTube video of Schedlyzer Lite is available at Job Shop / Machine Shop Scheduling . It is not a cloud application.

Back