What's new
What's new

Shop Pet Peeves

rjwalker1973

Stainless
I am probably starting something here, but what the hell it's Friday. I was asked by one of my young operators what was some of my pet peeves in the shop. I was like shit this is going to take a while. After 30 years I have a few other than leaving the chuck key in the manuals and the wrench on the drawbar of the bridgeport. I thought this might be fun to throw out to all you warped folks.
I'll start with laying calipers or any measurement tool in chips and/or laying them with one end propped up on something.
Sending dirty parts to the cmm or inspection
dirty and/or unorganized area around the machine.
Changing my programs because you don't like the way I wrote it. (looked right at him when I said that one)
I could go on and on lol. What about some of ya'lls

I can tell your old like me, I used to get really pissed when some bright spark would edit the program on the robodrill cos they thought bottom up or top down or ass backward was better. Annoying but I retired and they can do what they like now.
Mark

Someone pulling the plug, to avoid using the machine on/off switch.
My grand son almost got electrocuted.
The ground stub was worn away. He told me they were getting a shock touching the air compressor. I shut it down and told them to not touch it until I put on a new plug.
When I came back his dad told me that he gave Alexander a body block to knock him lose.
Agree, his dad has no business running a shop. I have 60 years in the trades. So when I say don't use a machine until I get back from the hardware to put on a new plug nobody should use it.

Not having the production checking setup . . . setup . . . prior to running the feature, then running the feature and calling for the 1st Piece Inspector, then telling the Inspector he's got to figure out where and how to check the part.

The magical appearance of tools at positions never logged to Calibration, not ID'd, no evidence it was checked/validated, with the ISO Auditor picking THAT tool up out of all the tools on the floor with a /raised eyebrow.

People hiding issues with a job hoping no one notices.

Dirty parts sent into Inspection Reporting (ditto on the OP's point).

New hires who've been employed for 5 months never taught how to use a 0-1 hand mic.

People unilaterally changing a process to the way they like, no questions or notification to anyone, co-workers and/or Inspection having to trip over that.

People "poaching" tools from each other.

Unable to find tools due for calibration.

Disorganized work areas with tools not put away, left dirty. (ditto on a point of the OPs).

Using the draw bar to knock out b-port tooling. Using a hammer to tighten vise handles. Leaving dirty rags lay around.
So I am supposed to climb up on a ladder and remove the drawbar everytime I need to change a collet or tooling? Then use a long custom made punch to hammer the back of the collet while I try to hold the punch and catch the tool?

So I am supposed to climb up on a ladder and remove the drawbar everytime I need to change a collet or tooling? Then use a long custom made punch to hammer the back of the collet while I try to hold the punch and catch the tool?
Clausing had a neat system on their small knee mills which used a knurled nut to keep the top of the drawbar captive. Unscrewing the drawbar forced the collet down, out of the taper. Much easier on the spindle bearings. Whether something like this could be applied to a full size mill, or combined with a power drawbar setup, is an exercise for the inventive operator.

Not winding the extension cords or air hoses up. I mean for pete's sake they're on a mounted auto rewind reel. Just tug them a little and let them go.
People who tug the extension cords or air lines and just let them go. Reels are not meant to have the cord slammed home.....feed it back in and use your hand to slow it and let it come to rest easy. Just letting them go is the #1 reason they break. If you don't believe me, just read the manual that comes with any reel.

Back