What's new
What's new

Shops in the Northern United States

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Hello all. I have interest in relocating from Delaware to somewhere further North...like Vermont or Maine; does anyone know of a good place of employment? I consider myself a good person; no drug or alcohol issues...never late, hardly ever miss a day....multi talented...program and run CNC mills, wire EDM machines, surface grinders...Mastercam and Solid Works knowledgeable....a lot of other interests. Looking for a rewarding and satisfying position. Any information would be appreciated.

Mark

There are a few places around here (Upper Valley, VT and NH) almost always looking for people. Very low unemployment rate at the moment and too-high home prices, though if you're in Delaware now, it won't come as a surprise.

Know a job shop usually looking for good help, and there's Hypertherm (employee owned) and Timken/Split ball bearing for production work, CRREL and Creare for one off military/aerospace development stuff + spinoffs. What's your druthers?

neilho,

Thank you for the reply...I will do a little digging on the places you mentioned. Druthers? Not exactly sure what you mean by that...
Mark

As in "I druther chew my leg off than ....". :) Just asking your preference on what sort of work you like to do and the sort of shop you like to work in.

There are quite a few more places than that to work around here, of course, and not much population, really. I imagine there are more opportunities in Southern NH and Mass. Others here, Milland, for instance would know a lot more about those areas than I.

Seems like you're willing to relocate and also have the opportunity to choose the kind of place you want to live in.

Good for you!

neil

Neil,

Thank you for the clarification. That is part of my delima; I have a lot of interests, and narrowing it down isn't easy. I am not the guy to install "the lug nuts on the front drivers side" every day. I have done a lot of interesting work, machine wise...I like to learn and to be challenged. I don't need a big shop, and fight, claw,back-stab, or brown nose. I enjoy "...here, go figure how to make this...", and getting a product to the "production" stage.
I am lucky that my wife is a nurse, so she is very employable...we enjoy being out away from it all that a smaller town provides.

Mark

Neil,

Thank you for the clarification. That is part of my delima; I have a lot of interests, and narrowing it down isn't easy. I am not the guy to install "the lug nuts on the front drivers side" every day. I have done a lot of interesting work, machine wise...I like to learn and to be challenged. I don't need a big shop, and fight, claw,back-stab, or brown nose. I enjoy "...here, go figure how to make this...", and getting a product to the "production" stage.
I am lucky that my wife is a nurse, so she is very employable...we enjoy being out away from it all that a smaller town provides.

Mark

Hmmm. The Upper Valley has a pretty big medical center Dartmouth Hitchcock, prob needs any kind of nurse there is. Some smaller ones - APD in Lebanon, Gifford in Randolph, which also has a quite a few shops.

What sort of nursing work does she want?

Others here, Milland, for instance would know a lot more about those areas than I.

:o Most of my "employee" work has been in the Cambridge/Boston area, my gig up in NH is my one-man-band. But there's definately opportunities up here. With two incomes you've got a much better chance of comfortably balancing cash flow, but no question housing prices in many areas are high.

Good luck to the OP!

Maine Machine Products Company is usually looking for machinist. Area cost of living isn't too outrageous especially if you are willing to live out in the sticks a bit. Housing market is pretty tight though due to influx of southerners with more money than the locals.

Maine Machine Products Company is usually looking for machinist. Area cost of living isn't too outrageous especially if you are willing to live out in the sticks a bit. Housing market is pretty tight though due to influx of southerners with more money than the locals.

An article related to this was just published on the Boston.com site: https://www.boston.com/real-estate/...oving-out-of-boston-to-portland-maine-redfin/

Unfortunate dynamic - I can understand people to the south wanting more affordable housing, but that drives costs up for the folks already there. Especially for oldsters on a fixed income, having property taxes go up is an awful strain.

Southern Vermont/NH and Western Mass also has a few shops, and hospitals for the wife to work at, if you are still thinking of relocating.

They range from small family-owned affairs to large shops with 500+ employees. Cost of living out this way is definitely better than out east but we are still feeling the pressure.

Family tradition,
Thank you for the input. In a perfect world, I would up near Bar Harbor on the coasThanks, Mark

Back