What's new
What's new

Siemens 810D Tool Change Position

mattdlr

Plastic
I have a mini mill with Siemens 810D control. We had it for quite a few years but never got round to using it (long story).

I'm spending some time now to try and get it running but I have an issue where by the machine isn't quite going to the correct Z position for a tool change.

I can't figure out where the tool change position is set on the Siemens control. Does anyone know where this parameter is located on the control?

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully you git the help that you are looking for, but there is little help to be had for Siemens.

But, having been in your shoes (after changing motor(s)) what I have done is to figger out how far out of location that it is, and then block the head up and loosen the clamp to either the motor or the leadscrew, and then handwheel the motor to where it needs to be, and retighten.

Of course you have to already be close to begin with for this to work.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There is a parameter for setting the z position for a tool change, you may need the password for the manufacturer level parameters.

Also in addition to what Ox has said, Siemens publish all of the manuals for thier sinumerik systems, from the manufacturer parameters and installation to the operators manuals. They have a Siemens code for every book and revision, if you look hard enough, you can find everything you need, interpreting the info, is another mater.

I do however have an email at work with this procedure on from when we had this issue. I will try to find it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. It seems I'm not the only one struggling with the control.

I did try changing one of the MD numbers I think it was MD34090 not MD34100 though this caused the Z to over travel on the referencing procedure.

I even had the machine manufacturer send me their procedure but the parameter they pointed me to didn't exist. They told me that on machines that haven't been used before they can lose parameters. I'm not sure how true this is as if it had lost the tool change position completely I wouldn't expect it to move at all in Z whereas our machine moves to the position it is just off by around 5/10mm.

Highly likely this was user error. We had a technician in to look at one of our other machines and I asked him about this problem. Turns out (not being overly familiar with the control) I was going tot he T,S,M page and selecting a tool number without also putting a 6 in the "Other M Factor" box (I didn't think it was required from that page). That seems to be funny, strange though because when I didn't use the 6 it moved to a position that was very close to what I wanted.

Fingers crossed it carries on behaving.

Thanks for all your suggestions and input.

Back