What's new
What's new

Siemens 840D Shopturn and barfeed problem

nealrim

Plastic
We have just bought a DMG Mori CLX350V6 and am having trouble with the Shopturn conversational programming. I need help getting a Shopturn program to work in a similar way to a sub program in Fanuc.

I want to program the part to be machined on the main spindle(spindle 4) then the sub spindle(spindle 3) comes forward, clamps and draws the part out of the chuck to a given distance, part off, sub spindle retracts, we machine part in sub spindle and then the part is ejected. All in shopturn. I need to to be able to get thirty parts out of a 1m length of bar and then call the bar feed to push another length of bar through and then start all over again. I have been told that it is not possible to operate in this way. i find it difficult to believe this is the case. if I have to barfeed each individual component this will add a total of 63hrs onto the job when the part has already been pulled out by the sub spindle. Any help would be much appreciated.

is there any reason your trying to stay in shopturn only? I've tried to use it but alway end up going to a mix of gcode with conversational. On you tube you can find Chris Pollack (MrCNC) is a Siemens employee and is a wealth of info and was really helpful when I reached out with questions for him. And during our talks we did go across the shopturn takeover but my builder has there own cycle and he commented that he was familiar and didn't know why they did. But I stuck with builders just worked for me. If your not committed to shopturn exclusive I could send you some subroutines I run to do a bar loading.

Hi PCasanova
Thank you for your reply.
I have no affiliation with Shopturn, it came with the machine and i thought i would just have to get to know it to get the machine going, we don't have any offline programming software. The DXF import is very good and works a treat. I just find it strange that within Shopturn you can call up the sub spindle and link it to a cut off cycle, you can draw the bar out and part off. You can not however state how many pieces you want out of the bar before bringing the bar feed program in. I can get the bar feed going by calling up the sub routine in the Shopturn prog, i didn't want to call it in on every part as in my minds eye i am doing the same thing twice by using the "complete acceptance" on the sub spindle. I hope that makes sense. I have watched a couple of videos of MrCNC, very good, i haven't contacted him though.

my control is a 840d so not sure how your screen would be laid out, but see on the main screen if there is a softkey that says pointers/counter. under that they have a parts count cycle. but after 30 you would have to manually restart.

if thats not there you could set a sub in the start of the program say barcheck
and in user variables set r50 to parts required , say 30 and in the barcheck sub

setms(1);or however you mtb assigned the spindles
r50=r50-1
if r50<>0 gotof contineprog; doesn't =0

t11;bar stop
g0 z.1
x0

shopturn bar load stuff

t12 d1 ;parting tool qualify edge
g0 z.02
x2 ; what ever bar diameter
g1 x-.01 f.003
g0 x4
r50=30;reset counter
continueprog:
ret

is your loader a servo or air cylinder push? I think letting the feeder tell the lathe when it's time to load
a new bar is the better way of doing it.

Hi pcasanova

Thank you for this coding. I haven't had chance to try it as i have been away. I shall have a look at this this week hopefully.

The feeder is probably giving out a bar-end signal. This is my variable for bar-end on Siemens 840D sl.
IF $A_OUT[15] == 0 GOTOF MARKE1

The way I have solved the bar pulling with sub is I feed a part from the barloader without opening the chuck for each part, then the loader knows when the bar is out and can initate bar change. I have made a separate sub-program for this, which I just call up when needed.

Back