What's new
What's new

Siemens NX learning

Amihai

Plastic
Hello,
My name is Amihai. I'm 19 from Israel.

In my mandatory military service which didn't begin yet, I was assigned to work with the CAM / CAD / CAE software NX from Siemens.
While IDF instructors will teach me the software "on-hand" during my service, I want to come as prepared as possible.

I tried to learn a bit from Udemy, but all the courses on that site are conducted by people with a heavy Indian accent, which makes my learning curve even harder.
I also ordered a textbook called "Siemens NX 2021 for designers" which didn't arrive yet.
Other than all of that, how would you recommend learning the software? Please keep in mind I don't have any experience with these types of software and don't currently have NX on hand to practice. Thanks!

gkoenig

Titanium
The best very first getting started with NX video you can easily access is on Linked In Learning, from Steven Marjieh:

Learning Siemens NX Online Class | LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda.com

With Zero CAD experience, you'll actually be focusing more on thinking in 3D and the fundamentals of parametric CAD design which are the same across Fusion, PTC, SolidWorks, NX, CATIA... Sketch basic geometry, extrude/revolve/sweep it into basic shapes, add features, etc etc. They all work the same. I would get Fusion both for it's simplicity and the huge number of tutorials out there. Unless you have a seat of NX at home, it is critical you have access to this software to learn it.

What you learn now in Fusion will translate easily into NX and will give you the leg-up you're looking for. You'll be learning NX while your peers will be learning the basics.

IninefingersI

Aluminum
In my experience with trying to get a leg up on training is that you wind up sitting through classes teaching stuff you already think you know and you struggle to stay interested, and trying to absorb information without being able to apply it can be problematic.

Relax and save your motivation for when your coursework starts and you'll be better off in the long run.

empower

Titanium
Hello,
My name is Amihai. I'm 19 from Israel.

In my mandatory military service which didn't begin yet, I was assigned to work with the CAM / CAD / CAE software NX from Siemens.
While IDF instructors will teach me the software "on-hand" during my service, I want to come as prepared as possible.

I tried to learn a bit from Udemy, but all the courses on that site are conducted by people with a heavy Indian accent, which makes my learning curve even harder.
I also ordered a textbook called "Siemens NX 2021 for designers" which didn't arrive yet.
Other than all of that, how would you recommend learning the software? Please keep in mind I don't have any experience with these types of software and don't currently have NX on hand to practice. Thanks!

you can sign up for educational version of NX on the website, its free.
we have access to their xcelerator academy which has training courses online, but i believe its only when you have a paid license.

gkoenig

Titanium
you can sign up for educational version of NX on the website, its free.
we have access to their xcelerator academy which has training courses online, but i believe its only when you have a paid license.

As Lockwood put it once - dropping someone into a seat of NX without any training or experience is like taking a rando off the street and putting him in the cockpit of an F22 raptor. Get your feet wet on the Cessna a bit.

gregormarwick

Diamond
As Lockwood put it once - dropping someone into a seat of NX without any training or experience is like taking a rando off the street and putting him in the cockpit of an F22 raptor. Get your feet wet on the Cessna a bit.

I think that analogy is way overstated.

NX is not that hard.

empower

Titanium

maybe, maybe not. its also an opportunity to start a new/proper system without old habits that could potentially be detrimental.
wont know till you try, and unlike your F22 example, if you dont fail, you dont lose millions or even thousands if you do the educational version. 0 risk essentially

gkoenig

Titanium
I think that analogy is way overstated.

NX is not that hard.

Did you come at NX with-

1- Zero CAD experience?

2- No hands-on training?

The CAD side is no problem, the CAM side can be crazy frustrating. Not that the software is all that hard, but the training resources are limited.

gregormarwick

Diamond
Did you come at NX with-

1- Zero CAD experience?

2- No hands-on training?

The CAD side is no problem, the CAM side can be crazy frustrating. Not that the software is all that hard, but the training resources are limited.

Of course not, no.

Nonetheless, people commonly claim that NX has a steep learning curve, which is not particularly true relative to similar software.