What's new
What's new

Silver brazing carbide to steel - relatively long joint

Slits in the metal do not work and in fact may make it worse.
If the carbide is stronger it bends the steel into a banana. If the steel is stronger it cracks the carbide.
I think you will like trimetal. The copper in the middle stretches as needed. It has it's downsides.
I do not use it unless the joint over 1 inch long. Think what happens here in a 6 inch strip.
This sort of art work. Get the carbide up to 2400 and the steel to 800+. Color temp with torch or special induction coils.
I do not know the part, the carbide section, or the steel so I may be way off base and looney tunes.
Also unground carbide has a skin full of nasty stuff (one side will be worse than the other). Are you going to grind or at the least blast this surface?
I hope it goes easily.

Last edited:
We had good results with absolutely no fingerprints on the carbide or the part. If a fingerprint was suspected then a quick sandblasting was due. place flux and then a strip of (no fingerprints) brass (Brazing roll stock) and a small chip of silver (silver rolls sock). Heat till it floats and hold for a second+ to cool and set. The chip of silver stock makes the braze flow much better.
Then we boiled the cutters to melt the hardened flux ..the steel would turn black doing this.

We had good results with absolutely no fingerprints on the carbide or the part. If a fingerprint was suspected then a quick sandblasting was due. place flux and then a strip of (no fingerprints) brass (Brazing roll stock) and a small chip of silver (silver rolls sock). Heat till it floats and hold for a second+ to cool and set. The chip of silver stock makes the braze flow much better.
Then we boiled the cutters to melt the hardened flux ..the steel would turn black doing this.
This in spades.
Clean within 2-6 hours of the process. We wash the braze strips after cutting them also in the ultrasonic. Acid, soap, clean water.
Boiling is done by everyone I know.
We call it "cooking" the parts and done with a sauce pans and hot plates. The job router literary say "cook" with a production rate.
Makes life so much easier than blasting all the hardened flux.

We do not match the rad in the back corner as was done here. Rad as ground on the stock and simple 45 land on the ass end of the tip to clear it.
Very nice looking work. Did you "float" this tip or clamp it during braze?
We spring load clamp everything but others do the float sliding thing.

Last edited:

Back