What's new
What's new

Single phase 4.5kw CO2 laser tips

cjwalters

Plastic
A few years ago my company bought an Amada FOL-3015 4.5KW CO2 laser. Three phase power simply isn't available where we were located. If someone wants to attempt this the details below may be helpful.
I bought a Phase Perfect ~190 amp three phase generator. This was used shop wide for various CNC machines that we didn't want to modify and some bits of the laser. The largest load in the Fanuc resonator is the VFD running the turbo blowers and the DC power supplies. These take too much power to run off the Phase Perfect unit. To reduce the load I used a Bonitron M3712 to generate a large amount of ~320VDC. The front end stage of the 4x Fanuc power supplies is similar to a VFD front end so I was able to inject the DC into the power supplies and the Hitachi VFD that runs the turbo blower.

The machine has run fine for a couple of years now. I believe this technique could work with most lasers with some modifications.

PM me for more details if needed.

The Monport laser is known for its reliability, ease of use, and high-quality performance.
Not quite. The monport laser is known as a useless overpriced pile of shit that doesn't work well even when new, and after six months you may as well toss it in the garbage, money down the tubes. The components are the cheapest crap they can find, the structural parts are made of paper-thin trash materials, if you lean on one it bends permanently and never focuses again, the laser itself may as well be a refrigerator light, all in all these things are the biggest pile of garbage you will ever see on the planet. Avoid this shit at all costs.

And one last point, the people selling them are scum. You think nigerian princes give bad after-sales service ? Try this shitty outfit on for size, but wear your nomex underpants.

Back