What's new
What's new

Single phase hobby shop advice for implementing 3 phase 220 vs 440

jim rozen

Diamond
I've got one that would, if I could still get the battery for it......and it's analog to boot.

Believe it or not, I have one of those as well - might be the same model. Mine has different 'plug-ins' to change the range. "TONG TEST" by Columbia Electric.

thermite

Diamond
3/4 would work for sure.

DC pony motor? Where would the amp clamp go on that?

Huh? Fed Gov ship your stupid pills in a week early this month?

Either one of the only two wires to it do yah?

Not that you would have to give a flying f**k. That's why I'd be USING a Dee Cee pony and a storage battery!

Not longer a player in the draw on the AC feed. RPC pilot motor can have it ALL.

JST

Diamond
Believe it or not, I have one of those as well - might be the same model. Mine has different 'plug-ins' to change the range. "TONG TEST" by Columbia Electric.

I guess I have three, actually, I DO have a Columbia, range up to maybe 600A? AC or DC. No battery needed for that one. Yes, clamp-on type, probably same as yours.

Then there is a small clamp-on (!) DC ammeter for automotive use, which is what I was thinking of, it uses an odd shape of 4.5V stable mercury cell. Similar max range, DC only. I need to make a regulated supply for it.

And, a Fluke AC/DC clamp-on probe. Maybe 100 or 200A top range, standard 9V for that. I hate the thing, it needs constant zeroing, and I never trust what it tells me.

Several Fluke clamp type meters will do AC or DC as well. I do not have one, but have used them. They have zero-set controls also, but seem much more stable than that probe.

DC clamp-on current measurement stuff is not that rare.

S_Minion

Plastic
Got it all wired up and the Lathe started up just fine. Perfect!

Some thoughts about planning a more permanent implementation. I may do some adjustments to the fan on the motor, it is likely WAY overkill for the loads I will put on it and most of the noise seems to be coming from the fan. I will build a isolated chassis for it to sit on to reduce any transmitted vibration.

Has anyone used the Murata ACM20 meters on their converter input?

ACM20-4-AC1-R-C|Multi Function Digital Meter|Digital Panel Meters|Power Products|Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Looks like a step up from the $20 Amazon special, but still not overly expensive at $70 shipped from Digikey.

I am curious to know the power consumption, if it was low enough at idle I would not feel as bad to let it run for a few hours without using power in the shop with the pony setup being slightly more involved to start.