What's new
What's new

Small mill selection

I like Brothers, the Speedio koolaid is great and everyone should drink it, but that's already been covered well by DavidN. One question- why aren't there any rabid Robodrill fans?

That's a good question! I'd like to know.

The Neo is a whole 'nother animal and I will admit, I don't know much about them...............but as far as a real vmc, they will fall short. They seem more of a piece of "lab" equipment. Very light, very fast, very user friendly(I guess?).................but every vid I've seen of them is just cringe worthy though.............fast(but slow cuz every cut is very very light), long flimsy tools, and parts are always aluminum or plastic...........................and ignore NYC CNC................seems like a good guy, but c'mon.......he's always sponsored by someone....................
Ya, I know NYC CNC can be a bit like a cringy salesman at times. I thought his video on the Neo did a good job of pointing out its features.

But if floor space is an issue? It's your call..............it's sucks if that is the deciding factor................

New development! Floor space may not be the decider anymore. We can probably go as big as an S700. Not sure if this changes things as far as the selection of machine as the budget isn't any bigger.

Haas machines have their place...............easy to run, easy to fix(and you will have to fix).............a Speedio is just a step or two above a similar size Haas. Fit and finish is superior. Speed is mind boggling.............and accuracy is better. The control interface is on par with a Haas once you get comfortable with it.............
Noted.

I consider the Speedio and Robodrill to be pretty much interchangeable unless you need simultaneous 5-axis or 1000psi TSP. Otherwise it's pick a brand and be a dick about it :D

How about toolholders? I see the CM-1 uses 20-taper, and the Neo uses proprietary Datron (AFAICT). Either of these will restrict your choices of suppliers, but if you are considering >30k RPM, you are already in trouble that way.

Regards.

Mike

Ya, I know NYC CNC can be a bit like a cringy salesman at times. I thought his video on the Neo did a good job of pointing out its features.

New development! Floor space may not be the decider anymore. We can probably go as big as an S700. Not sure if this changes things as far as the selection of machine as the budget isn't any bigger.

Noted.

Going to the S700 does give you the 27k machine in stock. That gets you most of the small tools covered and if you really feel you need more, you can add a speeder head but I would recommend starting with the 27k without to begin with. Lots of room for a couple vises plus the fourth axis.

If you can do the Brother, that will be much more versatile than the CM or the Datron...............you can still make tiny parts and you can make larger parts. And as stated above, multiple vises and even a 4th............tooling was mentioned also............piles of BT30 stuff out there......................

Last edited:

Back