What's new
What's new

Software bias and forum use

steve-l

Titanium
I must say that I really dislike this new software. So, I admit upfront that I much prefer Vbulletin . That said, I have observed a drastic reduction in forum participation since the new software has been implemented.It could of course be just me, as I do not have access to the forum statistics, but I do not think so. I check PM several times a day and have for many years. Perhaps others would like to comment on my observation or perhaps Milacron could comment as too what drove the change and current useage statistics?

Vbulletin is ancient software and has generally fallen out of use. Most forums have moved on from it by now and the majority have moved to Xenforo. Most of the issues that I have seen are related to the theme that PM is using, not the actual software.

I haven't seen any drop in participation.

The new software plus the more strict moderation of non-machining content have made this forum much more pleasant to use, as far as I'm concerned.

I see plenty of activity, and the threads are about MACHINING not some OT political spiral- mud flinging and name calling BS.

I think this was a great move.

Yeah, I don't like it either, along with many others who have said as much. But we're still here. And here we will remain until the annoyance level outweighs the considerable benefits PM continues to offer. My guess is that that change is not going to happen.

What do you feel is gained by getting an explanation from Don of what drove the switch? I suspect that Thermite's "To Scott & Don 'it's a business' - decisions made accordingly" " is not too far from the truth, and if that is so, I can understand it. As near as I can tell, nothing was done with the intent of pissing us off, PM is still the best bargain in town, and although Don is not likely to scrap the new setup and go back to what we found comfortable, he does, I think, want to make the transition as easy a sliding fit as he can.

One more question: what is the evidence that tells you that participation has suffered a "drastic reduction"? You make it sound like it's a case of rats deserting the sinking ship. If I look at the players whose posts, questions, and comments matter most significantly to me, I see no such reduction having anything to do with the new format.

-Marty-

Marty,
My evidence is thread turnover. Threads seem to remain a very long time before they roll off the end unlike before the SW switch. I check this forum several times a day 7 days a week. It appears much more stagnant.

Last edited:

Back