What's new
What's new

SOLD: Van Norman 10" Vertical Swivel Dividing Head

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
286894384_5139350576177828_2360277278963800101_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/763489614674925/

I have for sale a Van Norman 10" Vertical Swivel Dividing Head. 40:1 gear ratio. Has rear drive for low lead attachments (for cutting helical gears). Has a 50 taper spindle, 1-1/2" thru bore. 10" diameter capacity.

Skinner 3 jaw chuck mounted.

Includes dividing plates (5):
24-25-28-30-34-37 (x2)
38-39-41-42-43-26
47-49-51-53-54-57
58-59-62-66

Also included is a tail stock (I believe it is a Brown and Sharp) that is a bit dirty.

I bought this about a year ago and have never used it. The only thing I did was clean it some and take a wire wheel to the chuck and dividing plates.

There are two known "issues" with it: 1) there is a crack in the right rear mount. I was going to just braze this back together and then retap the hole. Doesn't seem to affect the clamp. 2) the handle for the clamp on top only has one ball end.

Other than that, it operates very smoothly. No chuck key, although an appropriately sized 12 point socket does the trick.

Reason why I am selling: it's too big and too heavy for the kind of work I had planned to use it for. I bought it at auction, sight unseen. It's 150 pounds with the chuck (I weighed it). Had I known, I probably would have passed. I have no convenient means to move it around my small shop and I'm too friggin' old anyway. ;)

Pick up in 44060

UPDATE: A friend of mine convinced me I was a bit hasty not willing to ship it. I am willing to build a crate or even put it on a pallet for shipping. But the buyer will have to make arrangements to have it picked up with a truck with a lift gate. Standard carrier services won't take it being over 150 pounds. It will have to go FedEx Freight, UPS Freight or other LTL carrier. I can also ship via Fastenal to any of their locations in the EASTERN region - they won't ship from here to anywhere west of the Rockies.

You can estimate a crate that is 12 x 16 x 24 and weighs 200 pounds. Add more if a pallet is needed. Ships from 44060.

$450 OBO

Last edited:
Not for me, heh. I'd probably have to stop and lay down 2 or 3 times for a couple hours. Both ways. Bad back. To put it mildly. Just had another surgery too, so no dice for sure. Oh well, what'cha gonna do.

IF I change my mind, and it's a big IF, I would have get my asking price and likely I would need to add some kind of handling/crating fee. I've crated heavy tooling before, but nothing this heavy. It would probably have to go by LTL carrier, and that's another big PITA that I just don't want to deal with. I don't think typical FedEx or UPS take anything over 150 pounds. Shipping would be SPENDY.

UPDATE: A friend of mine convinced me I was a bit hasty not willing to ship it. I am willing to build a crate or even put it on a pallet for shipping. But the buyer will have to make arrangements to have it picked up with a truck with a lift gate. Standard carrier services won't take it being over 150 pounds. It will have to go FedEx Freight, UPS Freight or other LTL carrier. I can also ship via Fastenal to any of their locations in the EASTERN region - they won't ship from here to anywhere west of the Rockies.

Back