What's new
What's new

Solid High feed end mills, why are they so expensive?

No guys I do not make any cutting tools. I have state of the art cylindrical grinders, not tool and cutter grinders. Big difference.

We have multiple parters whom we source our tooling from. Some are good with the standards, some are good with threadmills, etc. The key is giving the right jobs to the right people.
All of our vendors have 20 years plus history with MariTool, thru good times and bad times.

I love those helical dual purpose tools. They do NOT perform as well as a designated high feed tool IME, but I really like them for bottom up roughing with an HSM toolpath.
I've always wondered about the practicality of those tools. My thought would be, they'd be great for an OptiRough type toolpath. (Full-depth clearing, followed by shallow step-ups) but, you'd want to run the full depth at different S&F than the shallow "HFM" step up sections, right? As soon as I saw those tools, I thought it'd be great is Mastercam allowed different speeds and feeds.

Mind sharing a little bit about how you put them to use? Send a private message if you'd like, instead of cluttering the thread.

I've always wondered about the practicality of those tools. My thought would be, they'd be great for an OptiRough type toolpath. (Full-depth clearing, followed by shallow step-ups) but, you'd want to run the full depth at different S&F than the shallow "HFM" step up sections, right? As soon as I saw those tools, I thought it'd be great is Mastercam allowed different speeds and feeds.

Mind sharing a little bit about how you put them to use? Send a private message if you'd like, instead of cluttering the thread.
Rough in a different operation for full depth and the come up the walls with another op, I think you can set angles to include or exclude geometry. Feeds and speeds can be edited in the ops and then posted together in mastercam.

Large radii on the face of the tool, to create a chip thinning effect. Usually able to run very high feed rates, but low ADOC. I've not used the solid HF mills, only the indexable versions.
Yep, shallow depth of cut like .025" but typically feed .04ipt on most indexables that I've used.

What is a high feed endmill verses a normal end mill.
What is the difference in grind or use?
The shallow angle on the end of the tool creates a chip thinning effect along the Z axis, allowing for much higher feed rates with a shallow depth of cut.

It's not always the most time-efficient way to process a part, but I find it's a high-reliability, low-effort, reasonable-efficiency approach, when used with dynamic toolpaths.

I love those helical dual purpose tools. They do NOT perform as well as a designated high feed tool IME, but I really like them for bottom up roughing with an HSM toolpath.
I know this is an older post, but I also thought these would be a great tool for optirough (or whatever your CAM calls it) toolpaths. Are you running the same parameters for step downs, as you are for step ups? I always though it would be nice if Mastercam let you change parameters for stepdown/stepup.

I know this is an older post, but I also thought these would be a great tool for optirough (or whatever your CAM calls it) toolpaths. Are you running the same parameters for step downs, as you are for step ups? I always thought it would be nice if Mastercam let you change parameters for stepdown/stepup.

If I want to use different RPMs I have to break it into two seperate tool paths. It is a PITA in hyperMILL as well.

I usually just let is do the step up with the HSM parameters, because I am lazy.

Back