What's new
What's new

Solidcam Newbie Questions (Tool Change Position)

AndrewZ

Aluminum
I am trying to create my first CAM program on Solidworks, and there are some problems with the output Gcode. I am using a post processor from Fagor 8025 and operating a 800T controller.

The main problem occurs right before tool change sequence from the post processor and also at the starting section of the G-code. The code attempts to place the coordinates outside of the machine's range, despite them being input in Solidcam. Is there some way in solidcam to set the tool change position? Ideally I would like to edit the post processor to include the movement to the tool change position. Importantly the tool offset must be removed before the movement, then the tool can be moved to a legitimate coordinate without errors.

How to resolve the issue?

Additionally, not a part of the above issue, but why is the angle of the groove operation forced to 45 degrees in Solidcam? Why is not 90 degrees possible?

Maybe things are different with your machine, but I have never run a machine (vertical mill) where I had to worry about programing the machine to go to the tool change position before a tool change. When you do an M6 tool change, the machine tool builder, if they have any sense at all, will have all the moves needed built into the M6 call to do a successful tool change. Z axis to tool change position, coolant off, spindle stop, you name it. 99% of the time I do no prep at all from the previous tools finish position and go straight to M6. No G28. No G53. Nothin... FYI - I run only Fanucs if that matters.

The only time I ever take control of where the machine is before a tool change, is if there is fixturing inside the machine that is large or tall or both and needs to be sent clear of the tool changer movements.

On a lathe you have to be much more concerned about where the turret is before spinning to a new tool. But even on a lathe I would not consider there to be "a" tool change position. About anywhere works, as long as you're not going to crash into anything.

As far as your startup code problem, you'd have to share some code so we could see what's up.

Maybe things are different with your machine, but I have never run a machine (vertical mill) where I had to worry about programing the machine to go to the tool change position before a tool change. When you do an M6 tool change, the machine tool builder, if they have any sense at all, will have all the moves needed built into the M6 call to do a successful tool change. Z axis to tool change position, coolant off, spindle stop, you name it. 99% of the time I do no prep at all from the previous tools finish position and go straight to M6. No G28. No G53. Nothin... FYI - I run only Fanucs if that matters.

The only time I ever take control of where the machine is before a tool change, is if there is fixturing inside the machine that is large or tall or both and needs to be sent clear of the tool changer movements.

On a lathe you have to be much more concerned about where the turret is before spinning to a new tool. But even on a lathe I would not consider there to be "a" tool change position. About anywhere works, as long as you're not going to crash into anything.

As far as your startup code problem, you'd have to share some code so we could see what's up.

It's a lathe indeed.

Below is the start of the program.

%99996
N1 G71
N2 G92 S2000
N3 T01.01
N4 M06
N5 G96 S320
N6 M08
N7 M03
N8 G95
N9 G00 X500. Z67.513 M08
N10 X17.665
N11 G01 X10.958 Z64.159 F.142

The bolded part is the move outside of range. I am not sure if it's the post processor or solidcam, however on solidcam in the simulation the routines end by moving far away from the part.

Here is a tool change:

N67 G00 Z67.159
N68 G97 S11837
N69 X500. Z1400. M09
N70 G92 S2000
N71 T04.04
N72 M06
N73 G97 S5771

The spindle also moves outside of range, but this is a bug in the post that I have taken care of. It's of note that the tool offset is not removed before moving to the position.

I have to check if M06 alone moves the station to the changing position - either way the post or solidcam thinks it's in a different position. And by plotting the g-code the position or a preliminary position is quite obviously X500. Z1400., without offsets taken into account.

I found the issue, it's in the NC options of the operations, the approach and the retract are set to "AUTO". Solidcam assumes the "home" is at the coordinates that don't exist. I have not found where to edit this home parameter, so post if you know where.

Most importantly the approach parameter has no setting "none", only approach from a previous point. This is fine except at the very beginning of the program, where I have not found how to completely disable this approach parameter and let the post processor handle the tool changes and start position.

Also, is it possible to set these parameters as default?

Hi Andrew, I'm not super versed yet on lathes. Only got a couple years under my belt on a CNC one. Still, a few things.

There is no such thing as an M6 tool change on a lathe, so don't bother there.

I'll reiterate that there also is no set tool change position on a lathe. (Not including mill-turns) I see youtube vids where the lathe is sent all the way home for every turret rotation. In production that is a huge waste of time. Not to mention the unnecessary wear on the machine.

I usually try to make my turret changes happen as close to the work as my nerves and common sense will allow. Not sure how you could make your CAM software handle that for you. My programming is more semi-manual. Where the CAM is strictly for supplying the X, Z coordinate stuff.

I also use G53 to send my turret where I want it.

For instance: (Not canceling offsets either.)

All the way home:
G53X0.
G53Z0.

Something short of home:
G53X-3.
G53Z-6.

I think people smarter then me use U and V in some fashion.

Just some ideas. Sorry... no idea how to make your CAM incorporate them.

Hi Andrew, I'm not super versed yet on lathes. Only got a couple years under my belt on a CNC one. Still, a few things.

There is no such thing as an M6 tool change on a lathe, so don't bother there.

I'll reiterate that there also is no set tool change position on a lathe. (Not including mill-turns) I see youtube vids where the lathe is sent all the way home for every turret rotation. In production that is a huge waste of time. Not to mention the unnecessary wear on the machine.

I usually try to make my turret changes happen as close to the work as my nerves and common sense will allow. Not sure how you could make your CAM software handle that for you. My programming is more semi-manual. Where the CAM is strictly for supplying the X, Z coordinate stuff.

I also use G53 to send my turret where I want it.

For instance: (Not canceling offsets either.)

All the way home:
G53X0.
G53Z0.

Something short of home:
G53X-3.
G53Z-6.

I think people smarter then me use U and V in some fashion.

Just some ideas. Sorry... no idea how to make your CAM incorporate them.

Thank you for generous answer, that makes sense.

I believe something like the following works to move to any absolute coordinate and not change anything else (though uses up one coordinate memory slot and coordinate recall slot):

G31
G59 X(Xval) Z(ZVal)
G59
T0
G0 X0
G0 Z0
G32
T(Current tool)

Not sure if there is much point to it though given the answer.

Still having some issues with SW, it sure likes to send the tool all the way "home".

Back