What's new
What's new

Source for 2 -3/4- 4 tpi tap

had it in a 340 G&L boring mill. was tapping a cast steel housing to install a custom thread insert. on the second hole I went a half turn too much in a blind hole. and broke the shank with 4" of tap in the hole. OOPS I haven't tried to get it out yet except trying an air chisel rattling on it trying to get it to turn. It shocked me as i was turning it 7.5 rpms and the mill didn't stop as it was inching it .

'

• Wow
Reactions: Ox
had it in a 340 G&L boring mill. was tapping a cast steel housing to install a custom thread insert. on the second hole I went a half turn too much in a blind hole. and broke the shank with 4" of tap in the hole. OOPS I haven't tried to get it out yet except trying an air chisel rattling on it trying to get it to turn. It shocked me as i was turning it 7.5 rpms and the mill didn't stop as it was inching it .
15hp at 7.5rpm is ~10,500ft-lb.

'
I’ve got similarly buried taps out with a spark eroder and an apprentice plus lots of time.

Regards Tyrone.

There is one on the 'bay.

As long as the tap isn't shattered should be easy to weld a nut to it and back it out. Lots of room to work.

Blow it out with a cutting torch. Yikes!!

Checked my stock on taps. I have a 2-1/2-4 and a 2-3/4-6. No 2-3/4-4. I tried.

Last edited:

Back