What's new
What's new

Source for 4820 steel

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Looking for a source for 4820, preferably sheet/flat. Castle metals lists rounds on their website, but when I called they don't actually have any in stock.

Customer has a need/application that I think this material would suit them well, but neither of us can find a source for it to even experiment to see if it will work.

Anyone have a source?

Looking for a source for 4820, preferably sheet/flat. Castle metals lists rounds on their website, but when I called they don't actually have any in stock.

Customer has a need/application that I think this material would suit them well, but neither of us can find a source for it to even experiment to see if it will work.

Anyone have a source?

Just to mind someone else's business, in all these years I've never seen or heard of anyone using 4820. Not just Castle, no one has it. It's almost the same as 4140 which grows on trees, except a little worse in everything except ductility. So what are you trying to achieve ?

If it's carburizing you care about, then there are also more readily available choices there, too.

4320 is close. Has half the Ni but makes up for it in Cr.
I assume 4820 was chosen to provide some core heat treat response during the case hardening process to prevent case crushing In service. 4320 will provide this but 4120 will not. There is more to consider in the material choice than meets the eye.
A substitute must be chosen carefully If it becomes necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion Rickyb, we do not want any chromium or at least very little, which is part of the reason 4820 was selected, that and the low carbon content, high silica content, and high nickel content.

Cole, thanks for that! We are indeed working around an archaic process, the original material specifications are materials that are not commercially available and we are working to find a suitable substitute with modern materials that *hopefully* will preform as good or better.

Just curious, but what material quality is chromium bad for?

Most important stuff I make has chromium in it- A514, 4340, 8620.

I wish I could find a good source of 4340 (for other projects/parts).

Chromium makes welding difficult is my understanding.

Anyone used a203e, that was recommended as a possible substitute? It has high silica and high nickel with minimal chromium.

What is the COO on their 4340?

I guess I should have qualified my statement, I have several local suppliers that can get me the full range of 4340, the problem I have is the origin of that steel.

4330v has pretty much taken the place of 4340 in my field of work. Check out the steel suppliers in Houston. That's where lots of this stuff used to be stocked at in years past. Unfortunately, in bar stock only.

Back