What's new
What's new

Source for graduated screws for Moore solid boring bars

marka12161

Stainless
I recently bought a Moore #3 Jig bore with some tooling. Included were a number of solid boring bars, some of which are missing the graduated screws used for advancing the cutting tool. As near as I can tell, these are all 40 tpi (makes sense, same as a micrometer) and 1/2" 3/8" and (maybe) 5/16" in OD. Does anyone know of a source for these? I know Moore is still in business but ther website suggests the only old machine they support are their Jig Grinders.

If no source is available i'll have to make them.

Thanks
Mark

It's been a few years, but I picked up a bunch of MicroBore bars, inserts, and hardware on eBay. Straight shanks, rather than Moore shanks, but the business ends use the same stuff, I believe.

There will be an auction Denver Machine Tool is closing. He has a #2 along with a #3. There is also 2 cases full of tooling for them.

Not sure who the auction company is, like you I am unable to find any link for it. Call him before things get too crazy with the day of the auction.

Last edited:
Feel like the auction house screwed the owner Frank over. They never used his business name, he been a well respected machine tool dealer for 30 years. They just listed it as an Industrial Auction.

There were a lot of unsold, or went for cheap. Owners going to find out he has a lot of big stuff to sell, and will take a long time to clean out the building. Didn’t make much off the sale.

Hopefully someone on the forum purchased the Moore 2 or 3, they went cheap $250 and $600. The cabinets with all the tooling went for $175.

Aren't these just devlieg microbores ? Someone still makes those, I think ?
No, the DeVlieg work a little differently. There's a cartridge with the cutter that's threaded, and a graduated collar can be rotated to advance the cartridge. A screw at the back locks everything down. And IIRC, there are two varieties, one intended for mounting at 90 degrees, and another at an angle that maybe gives you tenths on diameter or some such.

The 90 degree units also have a vernier scale to aid in setting. The same cartridge can be used in either position, it is the nuts that change, as the graduations for the smaller size is 40 (thousands) for angular mount, and 50 for 90 degree mount. The angular mounting is a 3-4-5 triangle, with the 4 (8 on diameter) in the radial direction and 3 in the axial direction.

Feel like the auction house screwed the owner Frank over. They never used his business name, he been a well respected machine tool dealer for 30 years. They just listed it as an Industrial Auction.

There were a lot of unsold, or went for cheap. Owners going to find out he has a lot of big stuff to sell, and will take a long time to clean out the building. Didn’t make much off the sale.

Hopefully someone on the forum purchased the Moore 2 or 3, they went cheap $250 and $600. The cabinets with all the tooling went for $175.
Sounds like a great deal on the Moore tooling and the machines. The distance was the issue for me. As much as I love having a large variety of tooling, for a hobbyist like me, there comes a point where you are just gathering and creating clutter. It would have been expensive to ship an entire cabinet of tooling. I wouldn't be surprised if much of it may end up on ebay at inflated prices.

Back