What's new
What's new

Sources for Connelly's book????

FWIW:

I like the Connelly book! Copies show up on ebay from time to time. It may be 53 years old, but scraping hasn't changed much (other than the Biax power scraper) in the last 100 years. A mature technology, I guess.

Learning scraping & machine alignments from someone who has actually done it is invaluable.

I recently bought the Basic Scraping book from machinerepair.com, after some correspondence with Michael Morgan. He is great guy and the book arrived in about a week.

I rented Michael Morgan's Basic Scraping video from technicalvideorental.com and watched it about three times. I thought it a good, basic introduction on how to scrape a flat surface.

I bought the King scraping video on ebay and watched it once. It's OK, but as I recall, mostly focuses on the Biax power scraper.

Mike

My local library borrowed(inter-library loan) a copy for me from a distant library; maybe in Iowa. This is one way to evaluate before committing personal funds.

I certainly have a lot of respect for anyone who can restore worn sliding surfaces to proper finish, flatnes and alignment.

I bought a small surface plate and found it was not too diffucult to scrape a small surface reasonably flat but I am nowhere near ready to correct alignment.

Rick

Wheeesh....lots of opinions...so here is mine....

If you simply want to know the detailed manual excercise of scraping as per techniques of moving the scraper, don't buy the book.

If you want to know how the scraping process is used to generate the surfaces on a machine, in correct alinement with each other, then DO buy the book.

It is NOT for general machine repair. It is NOT for the manual methods and "craft" of scraping.

I like it. I bought it for $50 on the mass buy, and it has paid me back handily.

Once again thanks for all the replies.
What I am looking for in this book is exactly as J Tiers said "If you want to know how the scraping process is used to generate the surfaces on a machine, in correct alinement with each other, then DO buy the book."
So looks like it is what I am after

I presume it goes into at least some depth about the tools needed to reach the above goal?

Hood

I bought the book from Mr. Connelly himself, just before his alzheimers really took hold. Well under $30 but can't remember if it was at the $22.95 level or 27.95. For me it was a religious experience. What an intellect that guy had, and such a sad way to go.

It's all about alignment, and making or generating, and using the tools to inspect for same.

smt

Thanks guys, looks like its exactly what I am wanting, now if only I could find a UK supplier it would be perfect. Still had no luck in that respect so looks like I will have to get my order in to Powells.
Thanks again for all the replies, they are much appreciated
Hood

I think that I bought mine from either Camden Steam or Tee Publishing some years ago - might be worth asking them.

Charles

I bought mine at a library old book sale.-$2 in 1999,along with 10 other old metalworking books. At one time they were considered Junk,now $100 on Ebay...Amazing.

Those of you who live within reasonable distance of the Jan. Cabin Fever show (York, Pa.) might want to plan on attending next year if you'd like to catch a seminar by a very experienced scraper hand. At the 2004 & 2005 shows, Richard Zipper, a machine tool rebuilder from N.J. (he advertises in HSM), did a Sunday afternoon seminar on scraping. I probably learned more in a short time than I have in any other seminar on any subject I've ever attended -- and I came back the second year to see what I'd missed. I'm planning to be there again in 2006, too. There's nothing like watching someone who _really_ knows the trade, and being able to ask questions.

BTW, I have the Morgan book (he's full of it regarding files -- I've *never* seen one that's case-hardened, but overall the book is very good if you can ignore the lack of proofreading). I want the Connely book specifically because of the alignment info.

Try a Zipper-style scraper before you spend big bucks on a fancy ready-made one. He usually uses an HSS cutoff blade (the tapered kind, not T-shaped), a wooden handle turned in the lathe, and electrical conduit for the shaft. Hardest part is making the clamp to hold the blade in the flattened end of the conduit. I don't even put a screw on mine, just cut inside & out tapers on the shaper & tighten or loosen the assembly with a three pound hammer.

Carbide tool blanks are available for cheap from J&L or MSC, although I don't have the diamond wheel for sharpening them. The HSS blades need more resharpening, but the taper allows them to fit into a dovetail more easily.

Practice & persistence really seem to be the name of the scraping game.

BillB

I like the cutoff tool idea. It sure would fit a dovetail well.

I think I will try it, I have a bunch of cutoff tools in various widths that idjits have ground the top of in various ways. I'm too lazy to grind off 1/4" of blade to get to the good area, and a couple may become scrapers now.

Besides a number of shop made carbide scrapers, i have some older imports on the lines of the Anderson/A&W flat scrapers with the thin insert HSS blades. These are nice for reshaping to get into dovetails and tight spots. But i think you're right about the steel in a cut-off blade. I made some blanks out of one, and a holder, for my biax. They (cut-off blade steel) seems to hold up better than the flat scraper inserts do.

smt

Hi Hood!

Funny how great minds think alike.

I am on copying some of my stuff for you- which is about scraping lathes, not Bridgeports. It still is quite interesting stuff.

Model Engineers Workshop for April has just come out. There is an article on scraping by someone from "the good old days". He's using his wife's blue shoe polish as a marking medium.
( The mind boggles!)

Norman

Charles,
checked out these links but seems they dont have them anymore. Did see a 40page soft back on basic scraping, for under a fiver so will order that as well. Thanks for putting me onto these guys, looks like they have a lot of interesting books.

Norman
Superb, look forward to getting them, make sure you let me know the costs involved and I will gladly reimburse you.

All the rest
Thanks once again for your replies, wish I could go to that cabin fever seminar thingy, sounds like it would be well worth it.

Hood

An old thread, but I'd mostly agree with a lot of the comments about the Connelly book. Pretty dry reading and fairly repetitive. But afaik and for anything written in English, there's only widely scattered and limited bit's and pieces available from other sources. Those I think are good additional information about how to properly scrape to the book itself. But going through Connelly's information even once was more than enough to change my previous poor habits about keeping way surfaces as clean as possible, properly oiled and protecting them from any abrasive material like heavy rust on surfaces to be machined and landing on those ways, the outer skin casting on castings etc. That alone was worth it's price.

Connelly does do a good job of explaining the critical 3D machine tool alignments that have to exist or the parts being machined won't be. I also suspect a lot of his alignment test checks and the actual methods were lifted from Dr. Georg Schlesinger's book Testing Machine Tools. An online PDF of it can be found here. https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archi...s/Schlesinger_Georg/Testing_Machine_Tools.pdf The Moore Tools book Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy does imo a far better and more detailed explanation about the 6 possible axes or combinations of inaccuracy any single slide can have.

Not so much on these PM forums because there's more than enough members here who very obviously know what there doing. But 95%+ forum posts about machine tool alignment recommendations and checks on the more hobby level forums is half baked, poorly understood and while probably well intentioned, factually misleading at best. I still think the roughly $100 I spent on Connelly's book was one of the better investments I've made for my own home shop.

Back