What's new
What's new

South Bend 9C Tail Stock Disassembly

BobS

Plastic
Hi
The complete strip down of my SB 9C circa 1942 continues. I have now started on the Tail Stock. I have removed the Quill and the feed screw but I am puzzled about how to separate the Tail Stock body from its base or even whether I should not do this. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Bob

Thanks I have got it apart now and found a 0.015" shim, so I am obviously not the first person to open it up. Once cleaned up I think I am going to reassemble with the same shim but it looks like I am going to have some alignment fun once the lathe is back together - which will be a while yet!

The quick trick for lining up the cross to zero/zero the tail is to micrometer a part to know it is zero/zero or + at one end. Put the part between centers and feel/touch a tool bit to see if the cross number dial shows the same finding as the micrometer check.
You should see half the error, so move the tail that half of the error and check/feel again.
This roughs in your straightness to +- .001 much quicker than indicating or turning the part od.
I learned this simple method OD grinding, where you have no stock to take a test grind but have to be zero/zero within a few tenths when you first touch the part.

but first, it may be good to know the spindle and the tail are on the same centerline. Also, good to know the tail is horizontally straight, it may need a .015 toward the headstock and a 10 in the middle..and a .012at the rear.

A machine having bed wear may be straight at one place and not straight at another place. Sometimes depending on the machine's condition, you may have to taper adjust the tail for different length parts.

Last edited:
Thanks that sounds like a quick neat way to get the alignment pretty close. Thinking about it overnight I now think I am going to reassemble the tail stock without the shim that I have found. That will give me a much better idea of the basic condition of the machine without any possible confusion caused by the presence of the shim.

Hello,
I am doing the same thing now with my 9B lathe but the hand wheel on the tail stock doesnt have a nut more so it has like a “dimple”..? So i have no idea how to torque it off of the screw it comes on.
Does anyone here have any idea?

Thank you in advance

I suspect the 'dimple' is the center-drill on the end of the lead screw. Painted over enough times, it does look like a dimple.

To be sure, take a few pictures for us to inspect.

(also if you go to drive it out, try your best to support the backside of the handwheel shank - a) it will make the punch work better and b) you have less chance of bending the leadscrew.)

Back