What's new
What's new

South Bend Cast Iron Stand - Teaser

Not to belittle the bench legs they are super looking in their own right but the Victorian Era was 1837 to 1901 which leaves out South Bend I believe unless I have missed something. I guess this bench set up is for the folks that have an existing older lathe that need a bench. All of the new lathes coming out, that I have been able to view anyway, look to be of a modern design. I ralize I am splitting hairs with the dates but I just don't see South Bend lathes taking on that old of a look.

Hello Papa Well done. I would like to place the first order for a set. Keep up the good work. If you are looking to obtain a dealer in the northeast I would be very interested.

Ronnie

Thanks. Dealerships will be available throughout the country. The new catalogs will be ready in time for IMTS where the main re-launch will begin this September.

Promacjoe - that's funny about the legs.

Need "Center" Leg (?)

Hey, PapaG!

Consider, perhaps by special order only, a center leg?

By this I mean, one that would set in the center of a very long bench between the two legs you are offering.

Either the small tabs on the bottom that mount the lower shelf would not be needed OR the legs have such a different design that the lower bench could slip between the uprights.

My 2¢ - and maybe not even worth that?
<Grin>

Stan Db

Final Product Bench Too Tall

If the "go to print" version of this bench ends up too high for some shorter folks there is an easy solution.
In looking at olden-tyme pics of factory workers at their work benchs - work stations, occasionally you will see the worker standing on a locally made type of wooden raised floor or pallet.
The vendor might consider including with the work bench a set of plans for a DIY foot bench/pallet, for those who need it. The DIY documentation should include a CYA warning about remembering you're on a raised surface and "y'all be careful now".

Stan Db - see post 18.

The stand will have tabs on the inside for whatever length center "beam" you want to attach.

2eldpx2.jpg

These designs are all South Bend proprietary designs.

Logo plate

PaPa Grizzly;

I suggest that you change the casting pattern to include the South Bend Logo in the pattern and not have a add-on plate. Of course painting the South Bend logo might cost more than just attaching a plate, but you normally don't see add-on plates with machine names of casting from the Victorian era.

Best Regards;
Jock

Great job PapaGrizzly. I think the retro-industrial design is fantastic. Add a matching stool, and you would have the coolest computer furniture anywhere. I would love to have a maxxed out Apple Mac on one of these. The yin and yang of old and new with the pure functionality of each in common with the other.

Yes, the Madison Street factory was a Singer Sewing Machine Company factory where they made the wood and iron "cabinets" for the famous Singer. The classic treddle sewing macine legs, which are similar to the Grizzley SBL work bench design, were made there. My Great Great Grandfather worked at the Singer factory on Madison, and lived within walking distance near Howard Park. Singer eventually moved to Western Avenue, and later closed in the 50's or 60's

I 2nd the chair comment.

PG

Very nice legs indeed. I think the price is fair given the weight and the machined surfaces. The only other ones I am familiar with, the Veritas / Lee Valley set, are OK but not nearly as nice or substantial.

I 2nd the vote for a matching stool with an adjustable back. A nice cast base and the SBL logo.

Thanks for the preview.

I've built a number of benches over the years, all of somewhat different styles. I've found that the best way to eliminate any side to side motion of a bench is by triangulation The bench pictured below incorporates angle iron between the legs and the top and with 400 plus pounds of sheet metal equipment on top, does not budge. I would guess that even adding provision for an intermediate tie rod in the SBL bench, would not prevent the structure from rocking like a parallelogram. Nonetheless, it is nice to see some stylish bench legs offered.
Todd

Attachments

• DSCF0573.jpg
    DSCF0573.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 302
I've built a number of benches over the years, all of somewhat different styles. I've found that the best way to eliminate any side to side motion of a bench is by triangulation The bench pictured below incorporates angle iron between the legs and the top and with 400 plus pounds of sheet metal equipment on top, does not budge. I would guess that even adding provision for an intermediate tie rod in the SBL bench, would not prevent the structure from rocking like a parallelogram. Nonetheless, it is nice to see some stylish bench legs offered.
Todd

Instead of adding a central cross beam, people requiring racking resistance could use those lugs to attach diagonal braces which could be coach screwed into the underside of the worktop.

These could be simple bits of flat bar or angle, wrought iron shelf brackets (might fit the theme), or even cast knees - if PG wants to invest in another set of patterns to really finish the product off :)

Guys - thanks for all the suggestions, but the design is done and the molds are complete. Believe me that when you lag bolt the top and the bottom slabs of wood the completed bench has zero side to side flex even without a center beam attached. If a center beam is properly installed maybe your grandkids may have to retighten the bolts 50 years from now.

Of course, if you plan on putting this bench in a warehouse where forklifts can bang into it on a regular basis and throw everything that is sitting on top of the bench to the ground, then I would suggest cross bracing the two slabs to each other from the back.

Hi PapaG

Are the pads/feet at the bottom of the legs sufficiently large so that industrial levelers can be attached?

I see what look to be small holes there, but given the weight of the legs, top, shelf, and lathe, I would probably want to use levelers with a 3/8-16 stud.

The floor in my garage shop is pitched (unfortunately), so using some sort of leveling/anti-vibration device is a must.

Thanks.

-Chris

Chris - the existing holes are tapped to 3/8 x 16. They look very small, but the legs are pretty beefy and so the perspective is deceiving. They could also be opened up to 1/2" if someone desired - plenty of meat there.

I see the stand:)
How about the lathe?????????

Dave

Chris - the existing holes are tapped to 3/8 x 16. They look very small, but the legs are pretty beefy and so the perspective is deceiving. They could also be opened up to 1/2" if someone desired - plenty of meat there.

I would like to be a tester of the new 10K lathe :D:D
I have run south bend lathe for over 40 years

Dave

Back