What's new
What's new

South Bend & Digital Readout

CompositesGuy

Aluminum
Newbie here with a 13" South Bend Lathe.

I've search the forum, and looked at all the pictures in the "Show us your South Bend" sticky thread.... but I can find very little on mounting a digital read-out on a South Bend.

I'd love to see pictures of how you installed the slides on your South Bend.

steamachine

Cast Iron
DRO on a 10K

I mounted a TRAK DRO on my 10K. The encoders utilize a a wheel that rolls along the bed on the X axis and rolls on a piece of steel I added for the Y-axis. I used flat ground low carbon steel throughout. Both encoders are are assembled on a bar which is connected to the lathe via the tapped holes for the taper attachment. The tricky part was the Y-axis bar which needs to be very parallel to the travel. I ended up hand filing the standoffs to get it just right. The screen is hung off a piece of aluminum box tubing and countered with a heavy duty turnbuckle I had on hand. Something I always wanted was a flip down indicator so I incorporated that as well as a light fixture that travels with the carriage. Once adjusted, it works pretty well. I recently saw a 10K on EBAY with a similar DRO except that the Y-axis encoder was mounted on the tail-stock side. I didn't want to mount it there as I didn't want to compromise the tailstocks already short feed. [/IMG]
DSCF2863-1.jpg
DSCF2873-1.jpg
DSCF2870-1.jpg
DSCF2871-1.jpg

Steamachine

Last edited: