What's new
What's new

South Bend Follower Rest: $950

Bugger! He counter-offered with 750 bucks so I think we have a bit to close here. I'm thinking of $66.50. He did include a rather amusing story that essentially said there's a sucker born every minute so what the heck.

A factor of more than 10X...

that's a gap more like the Grand Canyon (You guys have a Grand Canyon too, if I remember right...)

Dalton on eBay

You people think this follower rest is over priced did any of you see the clapped out Dalton on eBay that the bidding ended last week. The opening bid was $8,000. I emailed the seller and asked if they had made an error in the opening price as Daltons sell for $200 to $500. I must have insulted them as I did not get a response back.

Turk

Dang. My first car was $350. A 1972 chevy nova, with the
inline six.

I've got one of those follower rests. If he sells his for
that much, I might jump on the bandwagon!

Jim

He must have been insulted by all the offers and messages sent to him. He did lower his price to $450 thought. Here is his message at the bottom of his auction.

"So that's it. And to you guys who took the time to insult me should really read through your vicious words and think "should I be doing this" before you hit send. I hope if you ever make a mistake nobody will do that to you.
Have a blessed day"

Don

Ebay Dude said:
If you need to know, I was misquoted by a so-called "auctioneer" from an online woodworking chat room a while back and I was also offered $400 and a rifle for it at one time who wanted this item very badly and told me how "rare' it was to see one in good condition. He was a gunsmith so this quote made sense.

So some dude in a woodworking chat room tells you the thing is worth $950 and you believe it? An item is worth exactly what someone will pay for it - that's the premise of an auction!

Could he not have avoided this whole mess by offering it at a low opening bid and setting a $950 reserve?

Ebay Dude said:
Check my feedback and you will see that I am a 100% honest ebayer

I have always thought that the moment someone tells you he's not a liar, it's a sure sign he's a liar and you're about to be lied to. Honest people don't need to tell you they're honest.

Ryan

bassniper said:
"So that's it. And to you guys who took the time to insult me should really read through your vicious words and think "should I be doing this" before you hit send. I hope if you ever make a mistake nobody will do that to you.
Have a blessed day"

Oh, please... :nopity:

How about researching the bid history for something you are asking nearly a thousand dollars for? How about not pretending to know all about an item, when it's clear that you don't? Why not begin with a reasonable starting bid, so that your potential buyers can become invested in the process -- begin thinking of the item as "theirs", vowing that no one else will take "their" item? That's is how you get people to part with their money. Maybe if you'd be up front with your description, rather than weaving some condescending BS ad copy, dollar signs in eyes, implying that you're offering the Hope Diamond for a once-in-a-lifetime-bargain-price, you might get some serious respect from potential customers.

Paula

I think if he was offering the Hope Diamond for a once-in-a-lifetime-bargain-price he might get some respect; unfortunately for him, a "rare" 9" SB follower rest is not the Hope Diamond, although by the sound of his description he could have fooled me. Then again you are getting the very rare "steady/follower" rest as he "always just called it", almost like two for the price of one.

David

That's where i am screwing up. I should put my heavy 10 on ebay for like $7,000.00 bucks since i can't get any takers for $400.00. Maybe it's rare or something...Bob

(LOL) Though I wouldn't be surprised if Priority Mail for that thing was $25.00.

BTW, eBay is eliminating the insurance option in listings. Now you have to tack it on to the price of the item. And if you don't like, they give you a link to "Closing My Account".

This raises a coupla' conundrums.:willy_nilly:

What are those people thinking?:nutter:

BTW, eBay is eliminating the insurance option in listings. Now you have to tack it on to the price of the item. And if you don't like, they give you a link to "Closing My Account".

Interesting... I hadn't heard about this. Coincidentally, I just went through a deal with a seller where I kept trying to get him to tell me if shipping insurance was included in his stated shipping/handling amount. He keeps responding by telling me the cost for Priority Mail, as though he hadn't even read my question. I'll tell you, eBay is on very thin ice with me.
Eyebrow-Nod.gif

Paula

This raises a coupla' conundrums.:willy_nilly:

What are those people thinking?:nutter:

Ebay (UK) is forcing sellers to provide 'free' post in many sales categories. In reality the postage cost has to be added to the item price, thus ebay snatches a little extra from the sale. Buyers lose out because sellers are less likely to give postage discounts for multiple sales. :angry:

Paula: I received the information in a seller update yesterday, I think. It applies to new sign-ons immediately and to existing sellers Sept. 22.

Billtodd: eBay has been coercing sellers to provide free shipping by favoring listings that offer it in the search engine (and other gimmicks). eBay is not seller friendly and that is a fundamentally fallacious premise, I think. Rather typical of how eBay misinterprets what they really are.

There have been a lot of new sellers appearing lately and I suspect that it has encouraged eBay to bolder missteps. A lot of these new folks appear to have slept through their Marketing, reading comprehension and product research courses.

I suspect that part of eBay's ongoing and seemingly never ending series of "policy changes" is the need for some employees to justify collecting a paycheck. The balance result from mediocre management that plagues eBay...

...like the unregulated intermediaries in the financial sector.:D

Ebay problems?

Interesting... I hadn't heard about this. Coincidentally, I just went through a deal with a seller where I kept trying to get him to tell me if shipping insurance was included in his stated shipping/handling amount. He keeps responding by telling me the cost for Priority Mail, as though he hadn't even read my question. I'll tell you, eBay is on very thin ice with me.
Eyebrow-Nod.gif

Paula

Hey Paula, - Have you noticed how many ebay sellers only put the town they are in and not the state. For heavy things, I like to look and see where it is for possible pick up. Does anyone think this might be something ebay is doing for conspiratorial reasons? I've even seen pick up only auctions with lately state not listed. May be this is just something they are not policing properly? Just wondering, Tex

Back