What's new
What's new

South bend heavy 10 fixable?

I think you and I may be able to do some business, I understand you gotta be able to make some money. I think a see a couple things in there I might be interested in.

as of right now I'm still waiting on the seller to contact me saying the insurance company has released the machine and it's mine to keep so the machine is still on the skid as delivered in my garage and I'm kinda holding off on buying too many parts just yet. Now having said all of that, I would'nt mind checking out a couple of those parts if you decide to sell and if I end up not getting to keep the machine I can resell them if need be.

According to the seller I stand an excellent chance of keeping the machine going off of their past transactions with the ins co, but I know enough to not count my chickens before they hatch.
i hear you . but remember i am looking at the retail end aka end user

Man that sucks, I would be so sick if that happened... that said, I wouldn't hesitate to keep that machine and fix it up with used or ebay parts. They all pretty much swap. But you gotta wait to see what happens with the insurance etc, might have to lean on them with a lawyer a bit.

I have had a couple guys message me on here with parts and I have replied but I can't tell if it's going thru or not so please don't think I'm ignoring you.

Long story short, I am STILL waiting on the insurance company to make a ruling on weather or not I get to keep the machine. I came across a full up apron on eBay for what I thought was a really good price so I went ahead and bought it thinking I can resale it if I need to, other than that,thats about as far as I've gotten on this.

I have had a couple guys message me on here with parts and I have replied but I can't tell if it's going thru or not so please don't think I'm ignoring you.

The PM site never shows sent messages. Also a cap of 50 messages in your inbox. Both space saving features for the site itself.

The only trick I'd say is, after sending message, watch that an error message does not come up. The error pops up if recipient has a full inbox. Its not overly noticeable if you're not paying attention after you click send, but its there.

I got the green light, insurance paid out the claim and she's mine to have and hold forever, let the rebuilding process begin.

Does anybody have any idea what size thread is on the cross slide bushing that screws into the saddle?

I measured .778 major diameter x 16 TPI unless it's metric then a 1.6mm pitch would be the closest.

Everything I have read says non-standard 25/32 -16tpi. Finding a tap might be a challenge.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Thanks, that's what I was thinking would be the closest and finding a tap is proving to be a challenge

I may have to make one if all else fails but thanks again for confirming the size.

I got the green light, insurance paid out the claim and she's mine to have and hold forever, let the rebuilding process begin.

Great news.
Even if you have a tricky, technical project to do I hope the low expense makes it fun.
Thanks for posting, the more I learn about these wonderful machines the better.

Ben, where did you find the info on the thread size? I'm having a heck of a time finding a tap.

Thanks in advance.

I found a tap on eBay, believe it or not the guy even had a left hand version. It supposed to be here Wednesday gave 17.50 for it tax and shipping about 30 bucks out the door.

Right now I'm trying to get the threads that the bushing threads into on the saddle dialed back in as they got dinged in the fall.

I ended up having to hacksaw the old bushing and part of the front T.A screw to get it out of the saddle, I've got a couple pics that explains it better just need to get them on here.

I'm currently waiting patiently for the tap I bought on eBay and hoping that it works like it's supposed to.

Does anybody have a drawing or sketch of the front T.A screw that they would want to share?

http://neme-s.org/Shaper Books/South Bend/CE3458 Parts Manual.pdf

page 38 of this manual is what I basing everything on.

And guess which one got sent to my house...oh yeah I got the left handed one, so now I'm in the process of making a tap 2 of them actually.

They look pretty good actually made em out of A2, heat treat tomorrow we'll see how that goes I'm concerned about the slag messing the threads up.

Back