What's new
What's new

South Bend HW-103n's

ajjanaszek

Plastic
Hello, new member here. I have (2) NOS HW103n drawbars in the original boxes. Would anybody be able to tell me what they are worth? I can't seem to find much on the web or ebay. Especially new in the box. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4400.PNG
    IMG_4400.PNG
    705.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4401.PNG
    IMG_4401.PNG
    696.6 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to our forum. Regarding the South Bend drawbars & collet closers: I have no idea as to value. However, there is another 'board here on Practical Machinist dedicated to South Bend Lathes. You might find members there who can give you an idea as to worth/collectability. I use "collectability" as what you have is the sort of thing people who collect South Bend lathes, tooling, accessories, literature, and similar would be interested in having not just for the functionality of the drawbars/collet closers, but for the original South Bend box, label, etc.

I have two (2) South Bend lathes in my own shop: a 10-K (light 10") and a 10-L (heavy 10"). I have quite a bit of South Bend accessories for these lathes, including the same collet drawbar & closer for the light 10" lathe. South Bend lathes are quite common for light machine shop use or home shop use. The drawbars, collet closers and spindle thread protector and spanner wrench are a complete kit as South Bend would have sold them 'back in the day'. Unfortunately, without the collets, the drawbar and collet closer are useless. The real prize is a set of collets for the 9" & light 10" lathes. Not so common, and the collets, let alone a complete set, will be the high priced item(s).

I'd guess 100 bucks for one of the boxed sets of drawbar, collet closer, spindle nose protector and spanner wrench would seem like a fair price, particularly since these are un-used 'factory new' (NOS or new-old-stock) items. There are people who restore South Bend lathes and will agonize over the right shade of gray paint to match the factory paint, and will try to collect all the accessories for their lathes along with South Bend printed materials. These are the people who are likely to appreciate what you have for more than the 'functionality' of the drawbar kit, but the fact it is in the original South Bend box, labelling, etc. FWIW: I have a steel can of South Bend spindle oil kicking around my shop. Original South Bend label on it. Came with my 10-L lathe. No use to me, and I'd GIVE it away to someone who collected South Bend memorabilia. I buy oil for my machine tools in bulk, and this can sits under the 10L lathe for at least 20 years.

NIB doesn't bump up the value of machine tool accessories like it does say, toys or baseball cards. most who are buying them want to actually USE them.
there is a tiny niche group of "South Bend nuts" who would put a premium on that, but not many.. :D (you did come to the right place to find them tho,lol!)
it says right on the box for 9 lathe, so try posting on the "for sale" or "south Bend" section as such. id venture a guess that 100 isn't an "adjusted for inflation" price, and would maybe double that..

Last edited:
IMHO, the obsession some feel regarding getting everything "as original" on an old machine tool that's actually going to be used is a carry-over from automobile restoration practice.

I'm with the school of thought that holds "paint it any color(s) you like as long as it's good paint and skillfully applied!"

John Ruth

Welcome to our forum. Regarding the South Bend drawbars & collet closers: I have no idea as to value. However, there is another 'board here on Practical Machinist dedicated to South Bend Lathes. You might find members there who can give you an idea as to worth/collectability. I use "collectability" as what you have is the sort of thing people who collect South Bend lathes, tooling, accessories, literature, and similar would be interested in having not just for the functionality of the drawbars/collet closers, but for the original South Bend box, label, etc.

I have two (2) South Bend lathes in my own shop: a 10-K (light 10") and a 10-L (heavy 10"). I have quite a bit of South Bend accessories for these lathes, including the same collet drawbar & closer for the light 10" lathe. South Bend lathes are quite common for light machine shop use or home shop use. The drawbars, collet closers and spindle thread protector and spanner wrench are a complete kit as South Bend would have sold them 'back in the day'. Unfortunately, without the collets, the drawbar and collet closer are useless. The real prize is a set of collets for the 9" & light 10" lathes. Not so common, and the collets, let alone a complete set, will be the high priced item(s).

I'd guess 100 bucks for one of the boxed sets of drawbar, collet closer, spindle nose protector and spanner wrench would seem like a fair price, particularly since these are un-used 'factory new' (NOS or new-old-stock) items. There are people who restore South Bend lathes and will agonize over the right shade of gray paint to match the factory paint, and will try to collect all the accessories for their lathes along with South Bend printed materials. These are the people who are likely to appreciate what you have for more than the 'functionality' of the drawbar kit, but the fact it is in the original South Bend box, labelling, etc. FWIW: I have a steel can of South Bend spindle oil kicking around my shop. Original South Bend label on it. Came with my 10-L lathe. No use to me, and I'd GIVE it away to someone who collected South Bend memorabilia. I buy oil for my machine tools in bulk, and this can sits under the 10L lathe for at least 20 years.
I really appreciate the feedback. I would like for them to go to someone who could use them or appreciate what they are. Thank you Sir!

I bid $2.45

Suggest you just put a price on one of them and sell it. If it sells fast, increase the price for the second one. Otherwise just shrink-wrap 'em and forget about them.

If the OP does not own a South Bend 9" Lathe (and has no intention of owning one in the future) it is almost a sure bet that he has no need of these drawbar kits. they are just so much clutter taking up storage space. I'd suggested listing on the "South Bend Lathe" and the "Tooling For Sale or Wanted" 'boards here on "Practical Machinist". eBay will reach a much wider audience. My suggestion echoes Jim Rozen's: pick a starting price and list one drawbar kit. If listing on this site, it would be a listing with a starting price "OBO" (or best offer). In this case, the best offer may be less than the starting price. If the OP wants to try for a higher price, then listing on eBay would be the way to go. If the bidding results in getting a higher price for the first drawbar kit, list the second one with a higher starting price and see what the tide brings in.

Otherwise, if there is a business such as Lost Creek Machinery in the OP's area, maybe see what kind of deal they'd work for those drawbar kits. Dealers such as Lost Creek specialize in smaller or home shop type machine tools and parts for lathes such as South Bends. They might buy the drawbar kits or maybe the OP could swap them for something he needs for his own shop.

As the drawbar kits are, they are useless without the collets, and even more useless if the OP does not own (or plan to own) a South Bend 9" lathe.

Back