What's new
What's new

South Bend Single Tumblr gearbox

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I recently just rebuild a 1947 heavy 10 and now that I’m giving it a test run with the gearbox engaged without the chuck on the spindle things seem to run smooth but once I put the three jaw chuck on everything bogs down to barely spinning.. I have the proper bearing clearance and am able to spin the spindle by hand but with the weight of the chuck on there and engaging the gearbox everything slows down and practically doesn’t move at all..
I’m just lost.. There’s something about having that weight of that chuck on there that slows everything down.. it seems when the single Tumblr gearbox is in the far left position nothing wants to move freely anymore..

Last edited:
The gearbox has 3 range shift by the top lever.

When to left a gear is not moving.

Best to remove and work on inverted on your bench.

If you have the manual review the assembly. You my have a gear in wrong place.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You may get the answer here as many people with South Bend experience hang out here also. But the next section down is specific machines. South Bend is near the bottom in that section. Sometimes the moderators will move a thread to a better place. Usually a temporary notice is posted that the thread was moved.

Maybe Tony already nailed it. My South Bend has change gears so I am no help.

Thank you sir.. I was looking for a South Bend section but couldn’t seem to find one.. that’s why I just ended up choosing general.. 👍

Yeah you’re right just pull it off and get back in there and see what’s going on.. thank You..

Is the motor spinning up, but the chuck is turning slowly?

Do you have the pin on the bull gear engaged?

Steve

Back