What's new
What's new

South Bent heavy 10L spindle belt walking away

geshka

Aluminum
Hello Gang.
I have situation with Heavy 10L were belt form countershaft to spindle is walking away and rubbing step on cone pulley on the spindle. Both pulleys are crowned of course and it has to centre belt and prevent it from sliding sideways but it is not happening. Is there way to adjust countershaft to make it better aligned?

Thanks

What vintage Heavy 10 and what cabinet/stand do you have?
What belt are you using, and what's the condition? Any chance the belt could be worn/damaged on one side, making it want to walk in one direction?
Is this something that started suddenly, gradually, or is the lathe just new to you and with this issue?

I have the floor leg model from 1963 as in the attached image.
On mine, the only way I can see to possibly make such an adjustment is via the cradle mount/pivot bracket that is bolted to the inside back of the underdrive cabinet. I'm attaching 2 photos from my disassembly that show the bracket from the front (directly behind the cone) and also from the side.

I have not removed that bracket as part of my refurb, as I didn't see a need to. But I'm wondering, if its bolts are loosened, whether there is any clearance to slightly rotate the bracket one way or the other for alignment. I don't know. I had just assumed that everything was designed for proper alignment and there was no adjustment at all. But this is the only possibility that I can see on my Heavy 10.

John

Attachments

• Heavy10-FloorLegModel.png
    Heavy10-FloorLegModel.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Heavy10CradleRemovalFront.png
    Heavy10CradleRemovalFront.png
    718.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Heavy10CradleRemovalSide.png
    Heavy10CradleRemovalSide.png
    777.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks JBTR.
Mine is older that you have pictured here, It has cast iron left side cabinet with curvy shape.
I played y'day all night long with the belt and realized that It is definitely a belt issue. It all started when i replaced original leather belt with piece of serpentine belt from car (poly-V) It is made out of rubber and I though it will have less slip. I put old worn leather belt back and it hold up on pulleys quite well. Probably Poly-V profile making it unstable on crowned pulleys. Today I will try to run it on flat side - inside out :)

One issue is the serpentine belts transmit torque at much lower tensions - you might try reducing the tension on that. Is there a splice problem?

Based on personal experience with laced, glued, and clipper laced belting for a Heavy 10, if you don't get the joint or splice "dead on" straight the belt may very well want to walk one way or the other. On my lathe there is enough "slop"......er.....play in the bolts holding the undermount drive to the lathe cabinet that I can adjust the belt tracking to some degree.....almost enough to compensate for my less-than-perfect clipper lace installation. Still, this belt installation with clipper laces into a serpentine auto belt has been the best belt for this lathe so far. You might try turning the belt inside-out to see if that might make the belt want to go the other way.

Back