What's new
What's new

Special angle plate, why?

Cannonmn

Stainless
I called Suburban Tool, whose Id plate was on the red angle plate, who said they had nothing to do with this modification. There’s a linear ball bearing with 1/2 inch bore screwed to the back. I have no idea why that was added. Maybe a common addition? Any ideas? Looks like someone wanted to keep a round shaft or instrument vertical but moveable in the horizontal plane.

Attachments

• 336BF8AD-7F37-4656-B904-09538EFB3257.jpg
    336BF8AD-7F37-4656-B904-09538EFB3257.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 367
  • 3AEAB9D2-8CB5-4A25-BF81-8BDDE49DD97B.jpg
    3AEAB9D2-8CB5-4A25-BF81-8BDDE49DD97B.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I called Suburban Tool, whose Id plate was on the red angle plate, who said they had nothing to do with this modification. There’s a linear ball bearing with 1/2 inch bore screwed to the back. I have no idea why that was added. Maybe a common addition? Any ideas?

It was likely added for a special job. Hard telling what it was used for.

It was likely added for a special job. Hard telling what it was used for.

I guess it’d be good for center-punching something big and flat. Make a 1/2” dia punch, fit in bearing, thing holds punch freeing up one hand.

Could be a spindle grinding fixture made to grind special form Allied-type cutter blades.
The holder spindle is set in the bearings and screw thread is set at the bottom of the spindle to activate the up motion to a grinding wheel that has been dressed to the special form. The up motion of the screw thread provide that clearance to the cutter.

I have yet to see a catalog fixture to make these specials but have seen custom-made ones.
They are set on a surface grinder...the radial motion is by hand..and incremental down feed brings the blade to the wheel...often a template is used to scribe/mark that rough form/shape to save redressing the wheel.

Nowadays they (the blade cutters)would be best made on a CNC TC grinder. If one had the big bucks to buy a CNC Tc grinder.

A Royal Oak Tc grinder could make them also using a crushable wheel..

Here is the outfit that made the bearing fixture ..and liner motion is what is used for the grinding fixture I described
Thomson(R) Linear Motion Systems

Yes. one can make these blades with a TC grinder like a cinci #1. #2 having a work head and a tapered shim that would allow the work head to feed to the wheel with long travel as the work head was rotated. I made that set up on a Cinci just to prove that it could be done. My friend donnie had come from a shop that specialized n these cutter blades and bet me that I cold not make them on a Cicci.

Could simply be one part of many used in making a custom machine/tool/gage.

What if you found out there was qty (4) of them, all identical ?

Take it apart, and use the parts for what you need.

One could make a shaft with a small 4jw chuck at one end and a thread on the other end to adjust to the inner bearing to make a worked head of sorts to be used on the surface grinder. With having an index it might be a handy fixture. It could become an end-mill end grinding fixture.

You would grind an end mill flat nose, then tip the fixture with a .005 shim, then move in with gross feed to grind each flute to dish to center and just grind the flute end to sharp (take away the flat grind), Yes, the radius of the wheel being past center would provide clearance with he long travel at a stop at that position.

One could put in a shaft with a center and driving dog leg, make a tailstock with a center and so have an OD grinder fixture for the surface grinder. Yes mounted on a plate so to be used for OD longer parts.
I would give $20 plus postage for it, likely never use it.

Would have to check specifications to know but I think Thomson shafts are meant for linear motion, not turning for those who suggested some sort of workhead. May not work for rotation.

Would have to check specifications to know but I think Thomson shafts are meant for linear motion, not turning for those who suggested some sort of workhead. May not work for rotation.

The round linear ball slides can accommodate some small amount of rotation in my experience but definitely aren't made solely for that. Would probably wear out pretty quickly if used that way.

They probably just didn't want to lose that linear bearing and that was the first big heavy thing they saw.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Right track but wrong train.

It was the screws they didn't want to lose, the bearing block just happened to be the right thickness for the length of screw.
Intriguing.

MAYBE the linear bearing was a was to transport tools across the shop!

"Hey, Joe! Where's that square at?"

"Coming atcha, Bob!"

And they put it on a big linear rail and give it a shove.

Hard Hat Required

This I like. Zip-lines for parts transport...
Start hanging all your tools from a clothes line. Just pull it along till you find the tool you were looking for.

You know, cause walking to the tool box IS FOR SUCKERS!

Back