What's new
What's new

Speedio vs. Decked out Syil vs. ???

Bullshit. Look two posts up, that's what Vanc just said. Literally.

"Chinese propaganda" why don't you piss off, LOTT ? Stupid fuck, I've owned and run ten times more American nc machines than you've ever seen in your entire life. Fool.
Take it easy, it's a reference to the other threads where you were talking about Chines history and current events. And what does American machines have to do with this?

A little research because I was curious, their claims do not match what one would expect.

There is a registered sai li company in ningbo, no mention of taicang, same guy as principal as listed on the website, has registered capital but it's only $400,000 total, (that doesn't mean they have that much, it's just the total size decided for category purposes; the size of the business decides what the registered capital is) kinda small for a giant operation with two factories and they have a total of eight (8) insured employees. Insurance is mandatory.

So decide as you will on ningbo sai li ... as I mentioned, I don't think small is a problem. But curtains and sound effects and barking small dogs can be.

At one point there were controls that could only run conversional, back in the true "drill/tap" days. Just something to be aware of if you do venture into pre-C00 machines.

C00 and D00 you can switch over to conversational via user parameter, but Yamazen does not support it.

Syil is a lower end hobby machine, but if you look into it once pimped out they cost more than a Haas.
When it breaks I have seen that there is no local US support, so you will be fixing it yourself with phone help.

The Speedio is cool, fast, production machine, but depending on where you live no local support, fix it yourself, or dude will need to fly out $$. Its also 3 phase. but nice commercial production machine.

I know I'm going to get hell for this, because I would never buy another Haas, but I am a production business.

If your just a guy in his garage wanting to make some parts here and there I hate to say, a cheap Haas TM1P or a MiniMill2 are cheap $, local support probably, cheap parts, when it breaks there is someone close to fix it, or its probably cheaper to fix yourself, its super easy to use, high resell value, works on single phase power , etc, etc......Oh and its the most hated of commercial machines, even by me.

But if I was just going to make a couple things here and there in my garage, I would buy the Haas I mentioned. If your wanting to transition to a business you will probably get rid of them, or curse you bought them though.

But if I was just going to make a couple things here and there in my garage, I would buy the Haas I mentioned.
Boy oh boy, if I wuz stuck with one machine in the garage, which one ... 230 Gorton with a 3d tracer, maybe. The ability to just copy existing old broken stuff would be nice. The I could get carried away building an antique motorcycle to kill myself on. Or you could wack out a little pattern in wood easily for one-offs.

If it had to be cnc, it'd be bostomatic time. Or a kt 1015 and a bigger garage :) Or a 3J40 Devlieg .... the smallest five axis Cincinnati ? Even the 3 ax one Ox just ditched, the 5VC-750, pretty :) A Cimx-720 with a new control ? So many choices :(

Maybe it's a good thing I don't have a garage ...

Boy oh boy, if I wuz stuck with one machine in the garage, which one ... 230 Gorton with a 3d tracer, maybe. The ability to just copy existing old broken stuff would be nice. The I could get carried away building an antique motorcycle to kill myself on. Or you could wack out a little pattern in wood easily for one-offs.

If it had to be cnc, it'd be bostomatic time. Or a kt 1015 and a bigger garage :) Or a 3J40 Devlieg .... the smallest five axis Cincinnati ? Even the 3 ax one Ox just ditched, the 5VC-750, pretty :) A Cimx-720 with a new control ? So many choices :(

Bro the 1900's are over, haha :D

One thing that sucks as you get a lot older in any field, Its seems you watch quality replaced with technology, regardless of the product.

Bro the 1900's are over, haha :D
I didn't say I'd be making mass-market tranny gears that way, but for versatile and the things I am interested in, there's a lot of things I'd choose before a mini-mill. I still think if you want to run machines in the US these days, find a niche. Replacement parts for antiques would be one. Easier and better to trace them than make solid-model imitations. CNC parts are not right on an antique.

I've known a few people who specialized in cams or cranks or other niches - 1970's machines were better suited for that. There's still places that old stuff shines, just not production.

I didn't say I'd be making mass-market tranny gears that way, but for versatile and the things I am interested in, there's a lot of things I'd choose before a mini-mill. I still think if you want to run machines in the US these days, find a niche. Replacement parts for antiques would be one. Easier and better to trace them than make solid-model imitations. CNC parts are not right on an antique.
100%
I've known a few people who specialized in cams or cranks or other niches - 1970's machines were better suited for that. There's still places that old stuff shines, just not production.
Yup!!

CNC online land is full off wanabees and snobs. eww ohh...uhhg...you will never understand...my machine is better than yours...eww...gross Fadal...Haas....uhhg...my little 30 taper outcuts your machine...uhhg ewww...gross...dont buy that you will die...dont try that its not what I am used to ...ewww..uhhgg....grosss....popularity hate speech wins the day...ughhg...eww...gross and dont mention that name its ewwwww. If you cant used a double face BYOB taper at 1000000RPM your ewwww. Best thing about my thing is it aint your thing...your thing is gross.. Watch me win the bitch fight....ewww. Tormach...ewww Haas...ewww Fadal...ewwww Only good machine tool is a 5000 japanese cnc from the 80s....eww gross...ohhh.

. As for getting a Fadal, you ever run one??? I have, from when it was brand new in late 98 with the new 88hs control. I would not take one if it were pristine and free vs paying fair market price for a good Japanese mill, and I am a one-man home shop. It always tweaks me out that we are allowed to talk about Fadals here, they are not even close to being comparable with a real VMC. My opinion is based on programming, running, and servicing one for 7 years.
I have had some very bad nightmares that involved having to use a Fadal. I woke up in cold sweats and nauseous crying uncontrollably.

Maybe faster but basically, three axis is three axis.
One of the rare times I disagree with you buddy. I could go full dummy here and say " but would you rather have a new Haas 3 axis or a new Makino 3 axis...." .of course you want the Makino just because it is a better built machine and more rigid. But check this out and it is 100% true. We had 3 Haas VF3's and 3 Haas VM3's at one of the shops I graced with my presence. All purchased at the same time. (maybe by 1 VM and get the VF free?). I could literally look at the parts and tell you if they came from one of the VM's or 1 of the VF's. There was that much difference between the finishes. Especially on the floor of the parts. The VM's outperformed the VF's in every single metric. Same company, same number of axis, same tooling and same feeds and speeds. So yea maybe I am being a little picky today, but there can be some drastic differences among 3 axis. And i know you know that i'm just having a bit of fun with your grumpy butt lol 🤣

CNC online land is full off wanabees and snobs. eww ohh...uhhg...you will never understand...my machine is better than yours...eww...gross Fadal...Haas....uhhg...my little 30 taper outcuts your machine...uhhg ewww...gross...dont buy that you will die...dont try that its not what I am used to ...ewww..uhhgg....grosss....popularity hate speech wins the day...ughhg...eww...gross and dont mention that name its ewwwww. If you cant used a double face BYOB taper at 1000000RPM your ewwww. Best thing about my thing is it aint your thing...your thing is gross.. Watch me win the bitch fight....ewww. Tormach...ewww Haas...ewww Fadal...ewwww Only good machine tool is a 5000 japanese cnc from the 80s....eww gross...ohhh.
I troll people like that just because it is fun to think about their head exploding trying to prove how much they know . In the end they normally either bloke me or show their ignorance and try and debate me.

The difference between a 30 second tool swap and a 2 minute tool swap, multiplied by several tools, is night and day when you're in a flow state.
I got a young man working for me that sometimes can not see the big picture on things. He recently asked me why I use G53 to set a safe tool change position on our lathes . I explained the time saved added up over the year. He was like oh wow you save a second. So I crunched some data for him .

270458 parts where produced in our shop last year. If I saved 1 second on each part that would add up to just a touch over 75 hours. I then told him now we use a minimum of 3 tools so multiply that by 3. He looked me and said damn I didn't realize it could stack up that quick. 🤣

I don’t really get the hate on the Fadals.

My Fadal 4020 makes things all the time, and has been for the last 13 years I have ran it, and it did for the previous owner since new in 2002. Has needed a few parts over the years, but has been running typically at 10k rpm this whole time.

I have never had another brand of VMC but for what I do, my budget and needs it works 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am actually thinking of buying another one, but a 3016L with a 4th axis right now.

They are cheap, parts are reasonable and they are easy to work on. With cheap cost to purchase and minimal overhead it can take a little longer to make something and I don’t mind.

I still do the programs for and used to run/setup a new CR Onsrud wood router with Fanuc control, so that’s my only reference to newer controls other then the lathe I have with a newer Fagor control.
I used to think my Buick was a nice riding car until I got a Cadillac.

It does make a difference which mill you have, even if only a 3 axis. I started with a 3 axis knee mill, and did ok. Demand grew, had to grow, got a Haas (used), then a couple of new Haas because I couldn't find a decent used at a decent price. Then another Haas, then RoboDrill. When Haas decided to no longer support the older control, I started switching to Brother. First one was a 450, and man did it make a difference. Sold all the Haas, now only have Brother mills. When I was going through chemo, there was no way I could have kept up running the Haas machines. No way. It does depend on priorities. With the right market, one might make a living with Syil - if it continues to work. I don't know how to repair the controls like some here, so I prefer to have stuff that doesn't break.
I started in a shop that had lineshafts for some machines, and also had some Brownies. (Brown and Sharp screw machines for those that don't know) So I've seen a fairly wide range of technology. Have to retire soon, and I'm going to miss being able to make nice stuff with really nice tools. I wish the Syil had Brother quality, I'd buy one for retirement.
If you want a solid deal on a Brother, look for my ad's when I pull the plug.

Back