What's new
What's new

Spindle direction will not reverse on 1983 Citizen F12 lathe with Yaskawa 616G3 VFD

WazMan

Plastic
Hello PM community.
I recently purchased a 1983 Citizen F12, Fanuc System 3T, with a Yaskawa Varispeed-616G3 inverter. The machine had not been used for a few years but with a little work I was able to get it back on line and make parts with it, however a recent job requires tapping and I am unable to get the spindle to reverse direction neither by the programmed tapping cycle or via manual data input (MDI). When running a cycle and the "M04"reverse rotation command is read, the machine goes into basically a "paused cycle" or feed hold state where the cycle start button remains lit, the spindle continues to rotate in the right hand direction, but with no alarm shown (requires a "program reset" afterword to restart). [Although I knew it shouldn't need it] I tried putting an "S" command in the block containing the M04... still no reverse.
With Yaskawa's manual and their tech support, I looked up the parameter setting that effects the spindle direction (they call it "System Constant: SN05") and found it to be correctly set at zero(0)= REV enabled. For the heck of it I tried it with that digit set to one(1) but to no avail so I changed it back to (0). [The current (4) digit parameter reads SN05: 0 0 0 1] I also located the two wire connector terminals on the unit that represent FWD & REW (#'s 1 & 2) and they are connected to a relay that correspond to what I'm told are the FWD and REW terminals coming from the machine's end (#'s 7 & 8).
I'm not big on the technical side of stuff, so forgive me if I've over, or under, explained my situation. If under... please let me know any and all other information that would be useful in assisting me with my repair.

Thank you all in advance,
WazMan

[Note: The attached photos of the digital pad show which LEDs are lit in full stop condition where F= all zeros and STOP is lit; M03S200 where F=8.96 with RUN and FWD lit; and M04S200 where F=8.98 with STOP lit "but not" REW.]

Attachments

• IMAG1915.jpg
    IMAG1915.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG2862_LI.jpg
    IMAG2862_LI.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2824.jpg
    IMAG2824.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 91
Hello PM community.
I recently purchased a 1983 Citizen F12, Fanuc System 3T, with a Yaskawa Varispeed-616G3 inverter. The machine had not been used for a few years but with a little work I was able to get it back on line and make parts with it, however a recent job requires tapping and I am unable to get the spindle to reverse direction neither by the programmed tapping cycle or via manual data input (MDI). When running a cycle and the "M04"reverse rotation command is read, the machine goes into basically a "paused cycle" or feed hold state where the cycle start button remains lit, the spindle continues to rotate in the right hand direction, but with no alarm shown (requires a "program reset" afterword to restart). [Although I knew it shouldn't need it] I tried putting an "S" command in the block containing the M04... still no reverse.
With Yaskawa's manual and their tech support, I looked up the parameter setting that effects the spindle direction (they call it "System Constant: SN05") and found it to be correctly set at zero(0)= REV enabled. For the heck of it I tried it with that digit set to one(1) but to no avail so I changed it back to (0). [The current (4) digit parameter reads SN05: 0 0 0 1] I also located the two wire connector terminals on the unit that represent FWD & REW (#'s 1 & 2) and they are connected to a relay that correspond to what I'm told are the FWD and REW terminals coming from the machine's end (#'s 7 & 8).
I'm not big on the technical side of stuff, so forgive me if I've over, or under, explained my situation. If under... please let me know any and all other information that would be useful in assisting me with my repair.

Thank you all in advance,
WazMan

[Note: The attached photos of the digital pad show which LEDs are lit in full stop condition where F= all zeros and STOP is lit; M03S200 where F=8.96 with RUN and FWD lit; and M04S200 where F=8.98 with STOP lit "but not" REW.]

Open the front of the control( the screen a kepad control), then check the fuse panel inside, you may have blown a fuse .

Thank you very much for your reply.
I know that old machines like this don't like to be shut down for extended periods of time regardless of the climate. Glad to hear yours came back on line... even if just sort of on it's own. I've had that happen a couple times myself - more often than not the machine was a car.
While you were checking things the tech told you to, did you replace any relays or ?, that tested OK but you replaced anyway just for the peace of mind in knowing that's one less part that won't be the problem?

Regards, WazMan

Back