What's new
What's new

Spindle Lock Switch Question on 1962 Model 10EE

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Evening,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but how do you test if the spindle lock switch is working properly without damaging the lathe? If you engage the spindle lock and attempt to start the lathe, if it is not working properly, don't you risk causing serious damage. Again, my apologies if it's a silly question but I honestly do not know what the answer is.

Thank you,

Joe

It won't do any damage as long as the lock is fully engaged. I try and start mine with the spindle lock engaged about once a year and it's still ticking.

I can't speak for the semiconductor replacements for the C16Js, I run tubes.

It won't do any damage as long as the lock is fully engaged. I try and start mine with the spindle lock engaged about once a year and it's still ticking.

I can't speak for the semiconductor replacements for the C16Js, I run tubes.
Thanks much. If you try to start it does anything happen or does the motor attempt to start but nothing turns due to the spindle being locked? I appreciate your help.

Joe

Thanks much. If you try to start it does anything happen or does the motor attempt to start but nothing turns due to the spindle being locked? I appreciate your help.

Joe
Drive/motor makes a pretty good thump but that's about all.

Alex V used to do this with the arc limiters disabled on the main contactors. You'd see an arc thrown from the points that rivaled the best Jacob's Ladders.

Drive/motor makes a pretty good thump but that's about all.

Alex V used to do this with the arc limiters disabled on the main contactors. You'd see an arc thrown from the points that rivaled the best Jacob's Ladders.
Thanks, now just so I understand this correctly. If the switch is operating correctly, with the lock fully engaged nothing should happen when attempting to start the lathe and if it’s not working but the lock is fully engaged you hear a thump? My apologies for the many questions. Admittedly, a few weeks ago, I tried to start the lathe with the spindle lock engaged and there was a thump. I was thinking that the switch would not permit the lathe to start at all, not even a thump. Am I understanding this correctly or May I assume my switch is working even though I heard a thump?

Thanks again for the help and the education, I most certainly appreciate it.

Joe

Do you have a wiring diagram/ manual?

The spindle lock (SLS) appears to be wires 7 & 14

Unlocked you should get continuity between 7 & 14
Locked you should not
Sorry, my post crossed. I will give it a try.

Thank you very much.

Joe

If the lock plunger was not fully engaged enough to ttriger the switch then in start it dropped into the cog.
Check the switch adjustment also.

Last edited:
On mine (1959 original WIAD) if you try to start the spindle with the lock in, nothing happens. Put the spindle apron control lever back to middle(off), release the lock, and then everything works. On mine, it does not kick off the green button. It's a good thing that this feature is there, as I seem to forget to unlock the spindle lock more times than I like to admit.

Back