What's new
What's new

Spindle on my Haas DM1 doesn't stop immediately after M5 command, it does a gradual slow down.

kentd

Plastic
I have a 2018 Haas DM1 with next gen controller and 15hp spindle
After a M5 stop spindle command, or even if I press the spindle stop button on the control panel the spindle does a gradual slowdown till it comes to a complete stop. ( I'm guessing it takes about 2 to 3 seconds to come to a stop )
This hasn't been an issue up until today when I had a tool that running at 12,000 rpm and it took to long for it to come to a stop, resulting in a 4.116 spindle orientation fault

I went in and added a line of code to set the spindle speed to 3,000 and a few second dwell before the next tool change and that fixed the issue...

Just curious if the slow spindle deceleration is a parameter setting.... or something more serious?

I havn't had any issues with tool changes

** Update ** I'm starting to think the previous owner has the gain settings for the spindle motor messed up.... We previously had an issue with the tool carousel having jerky motion.... and the haas tech was out last week and discovered that the servo motor gain settings were set at 700 and when he changed these to 1,500 it solved the problem. I'm thinking we may have the exact same thing going on with the spindle. I just tried to use it for rigid tapping and the threading was not good because the spindle didn't have nice crisp starts and stops.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1) Yes, your suspicions might be well founded. I would again restore that machine to factory parameters and settings. Maybe write down what was changed on the gain for the tool changer but, no harm in putting it all back to known good values.

2) How big was the cutter? Did you have some 3" facemill screaming along at 12,000 RPM?

3) Does this machine have a vector drive or is the big box on the right side of the control cabinet marked 320V DC Power Supply?

Thank You for your response….

1: Yes, when we discovered that the gain settings were messed with on the tool carousel servo and not anywhere close to correct it really makes me think other settings are not correct. I am in 100% agreeance with you on loading in the factory parameters and settings.

I'm guessing my local haas dealer would be able to download those from Haas based on the serial number ? ( I was just curious of how that works )

#2: I was running a small 2 mm ball end mill, but actually it doesn't matter what tool I have in the machine, nor what RPM.... for example if I set the RPM to 2,000 and press the stop button on the control panel it still does a smooth slow down till it stops. Where the issue came up on that one I was running at 12,000 rpm was that it was spinning so fast that it took a little bit longer to slow down and that's when it must of gone past some type of timer setting that triggered the alarm before it tried to orientate the spindle for the tool change.

#3: Yes, it has a HFD-4 Vector drive.

On a side note, now that the tech changed the gain settings on that tool carousel servo it's working perfect.... So the finish line is definetely in site once we get past this last hurdle...

You don't have the factory USB? It should be stored in the control cabinet, probably in plastic and taped to the inside of the door. Not sure what will be in there on your machine. Might need to look at it with your computer. Maybe a bunch of text files. Maybe a super cool, auto-launching restore program. I dunno.

I was asking about the cutter size because we've seen all kinds of things around here. Someone spins up a bowling ball to 12K RPM and then wonders why it takes so long to spin down. Just checking. :D

How do you gain access to the gain ( pun intended ) settings on a NGC?

In only needed to change that once on a 2001 vintage SL10 because it was set insanely high, but on an NGC I don't know if you can get anywhere near that area.
I've had the unlock USB key once, but those settings were still not visible.
Is there a different level of key Haas sells that allows deeper access?

You don't have the factory USB? It should be stored in the control cabinet, probably in plastic and taped to the inside of the door. Not sure what will be in there on your machine. Might need to look at it with your computer. Maybe a bunch of text files. Maybe a super cool, auto-launching restore program. I dunno.

I was asking about the cutter size because we've seen all kinds of things around here. Someone spins up a bowling ball to 12K RPM and then wonders why it takes so long to spin down. Just checking. :D
I took one more look on the machine and no USB key, so I'm going to give my haas dealer a call tommorow and fingers crossed that they can request a replacement. I may contact the former owner of this machine, but at this point i'm less than confident that I would get the correct key....( I would hate to find out they sent me the key from another machine they had ) I checked my DM2 machine and found that one in the machine cabinet like you mentioned....

How do you gain access to the gain ( pun intended ) settings on a NGC?

In only needed to change that once on a 2001 vintage SL10 because it was set insanely high, but on an NGC I don't know if you can get anywhere near that area.
I've had the unlock USB key once, but those settings were still not visible.
Is there a different level of key Haas sells that allows deeper access?
on the NGC you need a service USB key in order to access those settings. I purchased one a few weeks ago ( Aprx $600 ) it was a real easy process gettting the key from my haas dealer. Just gave them a call and they sent the key out with instructions on how to activate it on the machine.

Back