What's new
What's new

Spindle rotation direction opposite to carriage lever on new lathe.can this be right?

Down for forward makes sense as it mimics the direction of rotation. On my lathe, it arrived down for forward but I swapped the motor leads to give up for forward....because that's how I like it.

For what?! The factory already confirmed that the machine is wired and operating correctly. Common sense dictates that the machine can be rewired for personal preference.
A beer is common sense if no internal changes are made.

Last edited:
I have a Clausing 5914 in my personal shop, which is mechanical clutch operating as Up-Forward, and I purchased a Victor 1440 lathe for the company shop a couple of years ago which also has the Up-Forward, Down-Reverse configuration. The other candidate for that purchase was a Sharp 1440, interestingly.

I feel like a peasant having to bend over to run a clutch handle after getting used to having it up on top of the headstock on my Axleson. It's on the carriage as well, with down being forward, but I don't find that handle very convenient to use most of the time.

I was in a shop with an Leblonde Dual Drive with a 5 position motor switch instead of a clutch. Two clicks up for forward, one click up or down for "neutral", center position was spindle brake engaged, two clicks down for reverse. Between that and the obnoxious single lever cross and long feed clutch on the apron, I hated everything about the controls on that lathe.

What I really want is an app for my cell phone so all I need to do to turn on the lathe is log on to my Apple account, enter my 26 digit password that contains at least 1 punctuation mark, one capital letter, and must contain 3 non-numerical characters then watch 2 one minute advertisements then select the proper menu, scroll down to the 7th submenu, choose the Universal Language symbol that represents 'ON', tapp it twice and then select Forward by holding my fingertip on the .2MM button for at least 3 seconds. Why can't they make it that easy?

What I really want is an app for my cell phone so all I need to do to turn on the lathe is log on to my Apple account, enter my 26 digit password that contains at least 1 punctuation mark, one capital letter, and must contain 3 non-numerical characters then watch 2 one minute advertisements then select the proper menu, scroll down to the 7th submenu, choose the Universal Language symbol that represents 'ON', tapp it twice and then select Forward by holding my fingertip on the .2MM button for at least 3 seconds. Why can't they make it that easy?

No comments about clicking on "affirmative, I support the woke crowd," Greg? :D

This has been discussed a lot in the past with about the same consensus, nothing settled that I can tell.
I’ve been running mine set up so down is forward, believe the book said to wire it as such.
Not paid much attention to other machines I’ve been let loose on but I do a lot of threading reversing the spindle and it seems easy to remember the rotation is the same as the lever position. I just got a second lathe with one button for forward and one for reverse with an engagement lever for the clutch and brake. I don’t like to think about metric threading on that one now that I have it.
A lot of lathes had nothing but a drum switch to control them, seems pretty crude but a lot of parts were made with them. The rotation likely would matter if the machine has a pressurized lube system? Wired the wrong way and they may self destruct.
I imagine it is really a matter of preference in most cases.
Dan

When I reach down and grab those L & S handles and pull up I can feel those beast come alive!! All these electric switches just kind of leave You COLD!! Haaa! :codger:
Guess its an Old Guy Things!! 🇺🇸

I have a Clausing 5914 in my personal shop, which is mechanical clutch operating as Up-Forward, and I purchased a Victor 1440 lathe for the company shop a couple of years ago which also has the Up-Forward, Down-Reverse configuration. The other candidate for that purchase was a Sharp 1440, interestingly.
My Victor 1660B is down for forward.

I think most older manual lathes were down for engaging the clutch. It's those newfangled electric switch jobbies that switched it up.

This match’s my memory. Lathes with a clutch were down for forward and a TOS was up to engage the reverse belt. I distinctly recall lifting the lever and feathering it to engage reverse slowing the spindle speed since it didn’t have a normal brake.

Colchester was down forward up reverse. Interestingly I think the ?Acer? that’s a Colchester clone is the same, so opposite Sharp?

You already called the manufacturer, but had you not I’d consider wiring if it isn’t a clutched lathe. A few years ago we brought in a new Okamoto automatic surface grinder. The factory installation tech explained the usual thing about checking spindle direction and swapping 2 phases if it was wrong. He also couldn’t get the oil pump to prime. Eventually discovered the that the oil pump had been wired backwards from the factory. He fixed it, promptly shot himself in the face with oil up the now open line he had been trying to prime through, laughed, and went on with the install.

Well, my old lathe can complicate things a bit. It's 1962 Monarch Series 62 Preselector Dyna-Shift. Down on the lever is engage clutch/run. Up on the lever is brake/shift. If you want to change directions you have to brake to a stop then click a button to change to a different direction. If you look at the photo the right row of buttons is from top Red/forward, Black/reverse, Red/stop. To be honest if I had to stop it quickly it would take some thought. Granted just pulling the lever up makes it brake and it stops pretty fast considering the amount of mass inside that headstock. The bull gear is like 2" thick and 16" in diameter. The downside is you have to move that lever all the way up, and it's throw is like 12". If something was going wrong I am not sure I could move it that entire distance with any speed. It is not a little flick, it must go vertical. And neutral is full stop then pull out that little plunger in the middle of the RPM selector. Fully. It's all hydraulic so there is squish in the feel.

Monarch Series 62 Preselector 001.jpg

Well, my old lathe can complicate things a bit. It's 1962 Monarch Series 62 Preselector Dyna-Shift. Down on the lever is engage clutch/run. Up on the lever is brake/shift. If you want to change directions you have to brake to a stop then click a button to change to a different direction. If you look at the photo the right row of buttons is from top Red/forward, Black/reverse, Red/stop. To be honest if I had to stop it quickly it would take some thought. Granted just pulling the lever up makes it brake and it stops pretty fast considering the amount of mass inside that headstock. The bull gear is like 2" thick and 16" in diameter. The downside is you have to move that lever all the way up, and it's throw is like 12". If something was going wrong I am not sure I could move it that entire distance with any speed. It is not a little flick, it must go vertical. And neutral is full stop then pull out that little plunger in the middle of the RPM selector. Fully. It's all hydraulic so there is squish in the feel.

View attachment 397192
A very fine machine you have there! Not sure i ever saw that Hydro-- version of Monarch out there!! I would have to believe there is some form of adjustment to close that distance on the lever travel for braking! Had my eyes on a Model 61yrs ago; sure hate that one slipped through my fingers. Lever action on that machine was the same; down for forward, up for braking

A very fine machine you have there! Not sure i ever saw that Hydro-- version of Monarch
I wonder if it came from where I used to work ? In Mill Valley ? Looks exactly the same, even the name tag wear and, as you said, pretty rare model. Same geographical area, so could be ?

Kind of a sad story - that company, back half made sonar transducers for ships, front half was race car gears, owner had an Indy habit so there were five indy cars spread around and one whole building full of offlehowser engines, plus a couple of sports-racers. Dropped by last time I was nearby, now they sell cool skateboarder clothes imported from bangladesh. Flourescent, man.

Back