What's new
What's new

Spring road trip to Canada and Customs from Hell

RE: jpfclass stating "Oh yes, big brother is watching you since 9/11 and remember that the terrorists came in on the Cdn side."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get your facts straight. The myth that these terrorists came in from Canada has been perpetuated since 9/11. This was addressed by "None of the 19 hijackers entered the U.S. from either Canada or Mexico, information confirmed by former U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft and the 9/11 Commission investigating the attacks, wrote McKenna in his letter to Gingrich. " after Gingrich said that they had in April/05. If they had come into the US from Canada they would have had to go through US Customs

RE: jpfclass stating "Oh yes, big brother is watching you since 9/11 and remember that the terrorists came in on the Cdn side."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get your facts straight. The myth that these terrorists came in from Canada has been perpetuated since 9/11. This was addressed by "None of the 19 hijackers entered the U.S. from either Canada or Mexico, information confirmed by former U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft and the 9/11 Commission investigating the attacks, wrote McKenna in his letter to Gingrich. " after Gingrich said that they had in April/05. If they had come into the US from Canada they would have had to go through US Customs
Well, I stand corrected. My apology for not knowing enough about 9/11, I concede. I think Jesse "the body" Ventura should know this as he just recently spouted it off about the terrorists. He's also wrapped up into the 9/11 conspiracy thing too. I just can't trust any news media or bookseller again. My bad.

JP

if you can't trust jessie the body, who can you trust???

please. that is about the biggest crackpot who ever made it into public office, and anything he says about anything, including canada, is bound to be suspect.

:confused::confused::confused: Did you expect US law to apply to Canada?

not at all...I fully expect, when travelling, to be subject to whatever laws are in effect at whatever locality I happen to be in....I even had to take classes while in the US Navy on behaviors and consequences of our actions while abroad. Like I said, the only reason the card was in my wallet was the accident scene diagram on it, the listing of rights on the back side was incidental....beyond that, it was IN MY WALLET- it's not like I was waving it around demanding my rights, far from it, I was trying to remain as calm as possible, get the situation resolved and be on my way....first vacation for me in 4 years (at the time), I only had a week, and wanted to do a little camping, do a little riding, do a little fishing....not sit and watch someone go through my wallet one piece of paper at a time looking for 'contraband'....and ESPECIALLY didn't want to see the situation escalate to what it eventually did....

I got reemed while trying to go to Mass. from Ontario, via the same 1000 Island border station. I was picking up some south bend lathes. My problem was that I was misidentified as a person who hadn't paid a ticket in NYC and had had their license suspended in NY. Turned out to be some guy in NJ with a similar name except a different middle initial. The problem is the moment you cross into the US from Canada on a "suspended" license you have comited a misdemenor, if so proven, and the fact it is a mistaken identity doesn't really mean you are guaranteed to get off. Plus you are fighting the misdimeanor from Canada, will have to appear in the US with cousel, and you don't have any option on that etc... Anyway, after a few months it was sorted out, but i very nearly was arrested on the spot. In fact both the customs guys who turned me over, and the State Police were pretty decent, but it is bewildering to be nearly arrested for something you hadn't done. I feel for those who follow this path much deeper.

When I got through to the right person, she seemed surprised that there could be a misidentification, so after she seemed convinced of my story, I suggested these kinds of mixups are not that comon. "Oh no" she said "it happens all the time". So there you have it, all these data bases we are producing and mining are (as we knew anyway) producing tons of mistaken reports. With the cost of memory set to fall to zero, the size of devices set to fall exponentially, and the number of economic interests flogging these security sytems, identity theft isn't going to be the only serious issue we have to face.

I feel bad that I no longer want to go to the US. I feel bad a lot of Americans feel the same way about Canada. There has been quite an integration of our cultures, with hundreds of Canadian contributing to the US scene. From Celine Dion (thanks for taking her) Shania Twain, Neal Young, The Band, The Guess who, Joanny Mitchell, Rush, Jim Carey, Peter Jennings, Alanis, William Shatner, BNL, Frank Gehry, Pam Anderson (you are welcome), Paul Anka, James Cameron (termnator and titanic etc), John Candy, Glen Ford, Micahel Fox, Chielf Dan George, Lorne Greene, Monty Hall !!, Howie Mandell, Art Linkletter, Raymond Massey, Louis B Mayer, Lorne Michaels, Leslie Nielsen, Keanu Reeves, Morley Safer, Donald Sutherland (only one I have met), Meg Tilly (and Jennifer), Steppenwolf, Avril Lavigne, Guy Lombardo, Hank Snow. Ok sorry about that, but it was fun going down the list.

As far as 9/11 terrorist are concerned, I thought JPF was joking! It was widely repeated that the terrorists, wherever born, entered via Canada, which is not true. But even if they had, and the outcry would have been huge, so what? AT least they get more of a looking over than if they had gone only across the US border. Some came from Florida, via Maine, not a lot of border guards between the states, at least not yet.

There has been quite an integration of our cultures, with hundreds of Canadian contributing to the US scene. From Celine Dion (thanks for taking her) Shania Twain, Neal Young, The Band, The Guess who, Joanny Mitchell, Rush, Jim Carey, Peter Jennings, Alanis, William Shatner, BNL, Frank Gehry, Pam Anderson (you are welcome), Paul Anka, James Cameron (termnator and titanic etc), John Candy, Glen Ford, Micahel Fox, Chielf Dan George, Lorne Greene, Monty Hall !!, Howie Mandell, Art Linkletter, Raymond Massey, Louis B Mayer, Lorne Michaels, Leslie Nielsen, Keanu Reeves, Morley Safer, Donald Sutherland (only one I have met), Meg Tilly (and Jennifer), Steppenwolf, Avril Lavigne, Guy Lombardo, Hank Snow. Ok sorry about that, but it was fun going down the list.

Can't believe you left out Rush ! (the band, not the radio moron ;) )

Most of my favorite "female songwriter/artists" are from Canada... you mentioned Joni Mitchell, but also Jane Siberry, Sarah McLachlan and Loreena McKennitt.

Wow. After reading through all those posts, I'm having serious second thoughts about my upcoming trip.

I have to drive from Massachusetts to Madison Heights, Michigan, on Monday. My mapping software suggested the fastest and shortest route was through Buffalo NY through Ontario, back into Michigan. It would theoretically save me about 3.5 hours of driving to go this way, but I now have fears of delays that would be more than the 3.5 hours of driving! The main reason for my trepidation? I want to take a few things with me:

1. My camera equipment that includes quite a lot of expensive stuff
2. My "work" laptop computer and some work-related papers
3. A case of (12) 22oz. bottles of home-brewed beer to share with my new co-workers

Should I even bother trying?

PixMan, for God's sake, don't do it! Stay in the U.S. If they stop you on the Canadian side, they stick you in a small room and pipe in music from Anne "monotone" Murray. Hey, wait, she's Canadian too...and Walter Pidgeon and Yvonne Decarlo and John Kenneth Galbraith and...

Can't believe you left out Rush ! (the band, not the radio moron ;) )

Gowan, Honeymoon Suite, Loverboy, Bryan Adams, Kim Mitchell, Jeff Healey,
Barenaked Ladies, Triumph, April Wine... :cheers:

Lived in Western NY all my life, been to Canada quite a few times. Never any major hassles. Was a bigger hassle flying to Phoenix from Buffalo than I've ever had crossing US-Canada and back.

Lived in Western NY all my life, been to Canada quite a few times. Never any major hassles.
Not a real meaningful statement without knowing more details.... like were you carrying machine tools back and forth in a pickup truck or just driving little 'ol you thru on a motorcycle ? One detail I do know is just the fact that you lived in Western, NY helped you to get thru easily. One of the reasons I was greeted with suspicion was being from 1000 miles away.

One detail I do know is just the fact that you lived in Western, NY helped you to get thru easily. One of the reasons I was greeted with suspicion was being from 1000 miles away.

oddly enough, D, I was once greeted with suspicion by the US guys because I lived 70 miles from the crossing....their logic was odd ("you drove ALL THAT WAY just to look at the falls?"....never mind that's only an hour's drive, and the falls are one of the 7 natural 'wonders of the world') while people who drove from 4 States away didn't raise an eyebrow...as mentioned by someone else, the US guys are subject to all sorts of mood swings and idiosyncracies regarding who they'll stop and why...like I've acknowledged before, I'm more than a little cynical, but I can't help but wonder if some of those guys don't stop people and hassle them for the entertainment value, just because they spend most of their working life in a prison-like environment and it makes them slightly sadistic.....

I think the delays and hassels are largely arbitrary. I have a cottage in Canada near Athens Ont and go up often. Memorial Day weekend, coming back Sunday night around 8:30, could of been a hugh back up, absolutely no one in line, drove up to US customs, had pass ports and they of course know us on the computer, lady was cheerful and basically waved us thru. Other times when no evident reason there have been 3 hour back ups and the 3rd degree, dogs sniffing every car, extra guys with mirrors who look under and in every car, etc, this goes for both the US and Canadian Boarders. BTW Pix, I think you are asking for it trying to bring in the home brew.

I just read this long post with sadness and frustration.

But I have to agree. I have crossed very many borders around the globe and unfortunately the worst part of traveling is coming home to the "freest country on earth", and facing the officials at the border. My worst experiences by far were all here at the US border, and that was true 20 years ago and is true even more today.

Uwe

Back