What's new
What's new

Stainless ok for tool bit holder like this?

I did heat it up and oil quench it- Have to move shop but will test on a sleeve job and see how the bit holds up- good info here for a noob.. as mentioned the lightest cut i take usually is around 20 thou, then fonish with a 10 for a 30 over bore for example..

Im sure very little load on the guy- takes about 1:45 a hole in a chevy

Anneal it? And undo all the hard work he went through to harden it in the first place? That said, it would probably be good to temper the little guy.
should have been pretty clear what i ment. (unfortunately expressions in metallurgy get used pretty loosely, i have to admitt that and often whish it were not the case.)

simple, unalloyed steels tend to have an unfavourable hardness/fracture toughness trade off, thats the reason for a light anneal (<500°f) in order not to get into the various temper embrittlement issues at higher temps.

Last edited:
should have been pretty clear what i ment. (unfortunately expressions in metallurgy get used pretty loosely, i have to admitt that and often whish it were not the case.)

simple, unalloyed steels tend to have an unfavourable hardness/fracture toughness trade off, thats the reason for a light anneal (<500°f) in order not to get into the various temper embrittlement issues at higher temps.

Annealing means to take the steel to as low a hardness as it can get to. Tempering is the word you should be using, Pete is right.

actually i like to be proven wrong because thats how you learn.

in this case, however, please look at some primary literature and you will quickly find that "annealing" is a synonym for "heating" in metallurgy, be it to 100°c to decrease dislocation density (and maybe first precipitation of some transition carbides) or 1200°c for homogenising higher alloyed steel. the temperature in question is stated. if you think about it, this makes more sence than using different expressions (like some text books do) because they create a false illusion of dealing with some separate, well defined phenomena. e.g. if you understand "annealing" as you state above you still dont know if its spherodized of a det anneal. besides there are about dozen processes called "xxx annealing" as you must be well aware.

so to make it short, imo the use of "anneal to xxx°" is a more precise and efficient expression.

actually i like to be proven wrong because thats how you learn.

in this case, however, please look at some primary literature and you will quickly find that "annealing" is a synonym for "heating" in metallurgy, be it to 100°c to decrease dislocation density (and maybe first precipitation of some transition carbides) or 1200°c for homogenising higher alloyed steel. the temperature in question is stated. if you think about it, this makes more sence than using different expressions (like some text books do) because they create a false illusion of dealing with some separate, well defined phenomena. e.g. if you understand "annealing" as you state above you still dont know if its spherodized of a det anneal. besides there are about dozen processes called "xxx annealing" as you must be well aware.

so to make it short, imo the use of "anneal to xxx°" is a more precise and efficient expression.

You can try to apply something you've read in a book somewhere to the discussion, or you can accept what those of us actually working professionally in the trade have used for decades. I don't need to look in literature, I've discussed this countless times with heat treat companies and folks who have been running machine shops for collective centuries.

But you do whatever floats your boat. Just saying, nobody uses the term annealing to describe tempering. Annealing (when referring to steel) is generally accepted as heating steel to some specific temperature at or near its critical temperature and slow cooling it to fully soften it. Tempering is what is done after quenching to bring the hardness down some specific amount and elasticity up. That is heating to a much lower temperature and allowing the steel to cool at any rate back to room temperature.

Last edited:
no idea why this matters to you that much. nobody uses the term like that? nobody you know, you mean? and i dont care for the jargon of heat treaters, a lot of them dont really understand whats going on and are about 50 years behind current procedures, at least thats my experience.

(op, sorry for this off topic discussion.)

no idea why this matters to you that much. nobody uses the term like that? nobody you know, you mean? and i dont care for the jargon of heat treaters, a lot of them dont really understand whats going on and are about 50 years behind current procedures, at least thats my experience.

(op, sorry for this off topic discussion.)

No, I mean nobody in actual industry, like I already said. It matters because you're putting information out that will lead to confusion. I have never, not once, heard of anyone "light annealing" steel. Nonferrous metals yes, steel no. Do you actually do any professional work in machining or heat treating trades? As I recall, you do not; but correct me if I'm wrong.

And this is not off topic - you introduced it to the topic with your advice to anneal his part.

no idea what your intention is in this case, kretz, but have the last word and be stuck on the introductory text book level if you whish. im out.

edit: oh, now you are putting out info i never gave out anywhere, but your sincerely invited to visit my shop anyway.

Last edited:
no idea what your intention is in this case, kretz, but have the last word and be stuck on the introductory text book level if you whish. im out.

edit: oh, now you are putting out info i never gave out anywhere, but your sincerely invited to visit my shop anyway.

Introductory textbook level, sure. Just like all the professional heat treatment shops that are 50 years behind the times? Pretty sure I already explained my intention, that you don't confuse people with terms that aren't in common parlance in industry. I'm wondering about your qualifications to be speaking with an air of authority on the subject, which I thought I made pretty clear. Many of your questions and statements have given me the impression that you did not work in the industry. Like I said, feel free to correct me if that's in error. I'm just trying to help any fellows newer to the subject who may read here to keep their terminology straight.

Back