What's new
What's new

Standard Modern lathe and power hook up options.

zimbo

Aluminum
So starting to look for machines for my workshop here in Virginia. Have single phase 100 amps to the shop.

Went to look at this Standard Modern lathe today for $1250. Comes with steady rest and a four jaw, cushman I think and that’s it. Price point fair I am thinking. Not used to prices here in the states to determine price. (I passed on a monarch for $3k a while back as hadn’t closed on our property at that point and no where to store it in the mean time.)

Machine seems in ok shape for its age other than an old crash into the compound in its history, better condition than my old colchester in Zim. The gentleman was saying he had an electrician over to hook it up to his phase converter when he bought and said that the motor was unable to be hooked up to it. Something about the motor not being wired for single phase hook up? I am not well versed in American electrical supply and phase converters etc.

So one of my questions is needing to know what options are there for power other than buying a diesel genset for my workshop for this machine and Bridgeport mill

Lathe motor is 5hp - 3 phase 230/460 volts.
Here is a the diagram on the motor. is it possible to change out the 5hp to say a 3 hp same rpm and pulley setup?
How about using a VFD in conjunction to a phase converter?
Ball park equipment costs. Contacts for someone that sells phase Converters and is knowledgeably about it.

I have also started looking at govt auctions. Seems they like to store this gear out in the elements! Is it worth while going that route? m prepared to drive 4-5 hrs to get the right machines.

Thanks for reading and the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2039.jpeg
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9275.jpeg
    IMG_9275.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
Unless there is something wrong with it that was not disclosed, the price is GOOD, better jump before someone else does. Your options for 3ph power are rotary phase converter or VFD, if you plan on getting more machines I'd go rotary phase converter. Standard rule of thumb on rotary phase converters is 2x largest motor run, that is why 10hp rotary is suggested above. Note, you will most likely spend at least 2K more tooling it up, but you can spread that cost out over the next year or 2.

Edit: I have a 26x30 Standard Modern, its sweet!
Edit again: That machine has a taper attachment, BONUS!

I see no reason that machine cannot be run with a phase converter, I'd question that electricians skills. As for sources of rotary phase converters there are several, until someone does a head to head matchup with them its hard to say which is best. American Rotary spends the most on advertising, but an equal sized Phase-A-Matic will run a greater combined HP, don't know enough about the others to comment, search google for "rotary phase converter" and you'll get a list of names.

First I suspect that electrician the seller had looking at it didn't know what he was talking about. Or perhaps the seller mixed things up and the real reason was something like the rotary phase converter was too small.

Without looking at it, I see no reason why the existing motor can't be run from a rotary phase converter or a VFD if the one chosen is large enough. Likewise, almost any three phase motor can do the same. So, if you don't need the horsepower, sure you can install a smaller motor.

No name 10Hp VFD's on ebay run under $200. They should be able to run that 5hp from single phase input. Cheaper then finding a single phase motor.
You can buy one rotary converter and use it to supply multiple machines. A vfd needs to be dedicated to one motor or maybe machines with identical motors. Like a 5hp lathe or a 5hp mill.
Bill D

Single phase motors on machine tools are a demerit
because of their drone vibration.
American Rotary does advertise more than the drug
companies. And it is all non technical emotional feel
good advertising. A big wrong for selling to technical
minded people. Aimed at people like Johnny Jack Nut
who just bought a 3 phase lathe, never heard of
3 phase before, and wants to set up his lathe in the
welding shop. No thank you American Rotary.
I give my money to someone else.

-Doozer

I have an American Rotary converter that came to me 'unintentionally' through a trade. It's by no means a top shelf piece of equipment but on the other hand it certainly works and has given no trouble.

If the OP has 100amps 220v single phase, that lathe will run on low voltage connection just fine. I’ve run a few Standard Moderns (and their castings used to be poured and machined just down the road from me) but not that type. Good medium duty lathe. Does it have a clutched head? If not, I’d run it off a vfd.

Edit: I have a 26x30 Standard Modern, its sweet!
Wow I thought I was the only one with one of these short stout girls. I have a 20/30, apparently came out of a sub. Anything like that with yours?
Clearly the salesman saw the gov coming, it has everything one could get for this machine, including a gimbal foot on the outboard end.

WRT the purchase, these are good machines and the company still exists in Ontario. One can still buy parts for these. As stated above, that's a good price in anyones money

VFD is the best answer. The extra nearly infinite speed control is wonderful.

Wow I thought I was the only one with one of these short stout girls. I have a 20/30, apparently came out of a sub. Anything like that with yours?
Clearly the salesman saw the gov coming, it has everything one could get for this machine, including a gimbal foot on the outboard end.
Mine came out of a military mobile machine shop, did not have a gimbal foot, but did come with almost every accessory it left the factory with, including a well tooled versa-mill. I bought the whole trailer and sold of most everything not related to the lathe, so the lathe cost me $0 :D

VFD is the best answer. The extra nearly infinite speed control is wonderful.
If a vfd is used its going to require rewiring the reversing drum switch which is controlled by the fwd/reverse levers on front of machine, not impossible, but not plug and play.
Edit: This machine only has 1 fwd/reverse lever, mine has a 2nd one on the apron.

I run a VFD and it's been 5 years no issues

Attachments

• 17126097110623989917768968394074.jpg
    17126097110623989917768968394074.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks to you all for the information. I am now more knowledgeable about the subject for it.

Update…..
Unfortunately for me the owner decided to keep it after all based on us accessing the motor wiring plate and speaking with a more qualified electrician. Oh well. Next…

He has Jet 13/40 with dro and VFD for the same money.

Currently talking to someone closer with a . Clausing 5914 and a Bridgeport with dro on 2 axis and comes with all the tooling for both machines for $5k. He had his own fab shop for 40 yrs.

Back