What's new
What's new

Stark Lathe

StarkJeff

Plastic
Stark Tool Company Lathe looking for a caring home.

When my Dad passed I found he left me most of his tools. Included was a Stark Lathe, think a No. 4, with a lot of attachments. At that time I was into model boat racing so I did use the lathe to modify a number of 2 stroke racing engines. However, as time goes on interests change, so all the lathe has done over the past 30 or so years has been to travel with me and my wife as we moved from place to place. Finally here in Florida and getting ready for another long journey I have decided to find out more about the lathe and possibly a new home.

The lathe has some minor rust coating but it runs as well as it ever has. It is belt driven through a forward/ reverse clutch system. It is equipped with a horizontal milling machine complete with a swivel dividing head and tailstock mounted to the flat end of the lathe bed. Also included are a number of parts for “chase screwcutting”. I never tried any screw cutting and am not sure what parts would be needed to get this working.

Images are here;

https://www.jeffkraengel.com/Public-With-Link/n-rfTrBx/Stark-Lathe-1

Appreciate any feedback regarding the lathe, its value or if anyone has an interest.

I see a set of leadscrews and followers for the thread chasing attachment, but nothing else.

Here are pictures of a mostly complete Hardinge Cataract thread chasing attachment to give you an idea of what one looks like. The Stark would be different, but would need parts with the same function.

I looked at Tony's site and see he has a catalog engraving of the Stark chasing attachment. http://www.lathes.co.uk/stark/

Larry

CatChase 1.JPG CatChase 3.JPGCatChase 2.JPG

Appears no thread chasing with what I have. I did look around at some other stuff I have & didn't find anything that might fit. Thanks for the response!

I am a clockmaker in Philadelphia. I have a #4 and have always wanted one with the milling attachments.
How much?

BTW, that is a purpose built clockmakers lathe. The milling attachment and dividing head enables one to make wheels(gears) and pinions with one machine. You turn the blank on a mandrel with the lathe and then mount the mandrel in the dividing head and the cutter in the headstock facing to the left.

I am a clockmaker in Philadelphia. I have a #4 and have always wanted one with the milling attachments.
How much?
Not sure it would be good to try to sell piece by piece. Would love to find someone who wants the complete lathe as is.

Been checking around & have seen pricing upwards to $1500. Equipped as it is I'm guessing a fair price would be in the $1,250. range. Question is , if we get a deal, is how does it get to you?

Been checking around & have seen pricing upwards to $1500. Equipped as it is I'm guessing a fair price would be in the $1,250. range. Question is , if we get a deal, is how does it get to you?
I live in Orlando and have a daughter in Havertown. I might, might be able to move this machine depending on timetables. Can the lathe and bench be broken down to parts that would fit in a Honda Fit?
Currently on vacation, home Monday, seldom on line till then, so be patient.
CarlBoyd

Yes, lathe can be broken down but table (42") might be a problem. Lathe sits next to my Jeep Grand Cherokee & I measured width of Jeep opening back and just enough for table. Not sure about Honda FIT back opening & then depth??

I can drive down to pick it up. $1250 sounds good, but I can't get there until sometime in July. Can send a deposit check if you'd like.

Back