What's new
What's new

Starrag Heckert machines compared to others ?

Panza

Stainless
I'm looking at a 400mm HMC from Starrag Heckert.
The specs look nice and comparable to other brands. Wondering about build quality, parts availability and service ? Probably also control integration. It has a Siemens control.

I'm looking at a 400mm HMC from Starrag Heckert.
The specs look nice and comparable to other brands. Wondering about build quality, parts availability and service ? Probably also control integration. It has a Siemens control.
I think “ Starrag “ used to be “ Rigid “ . I worked on their machines in the past and they were first class. You‘d be hard pressed to improve on the build quality back then. Typically Swiss with great attention to detail. “ Heckert “ were based in East Germany in the old days and they made very decent milling machines. Sorry I can’t help with more recent information.
If you look at the companies “ Starrag “ own now “ Bertiez “, “ Droop & Rein “, “ Scharrman “ etc back in the day they were all top class machine builders.

Regards Tyrone.

Had I friend owning a Heckert 400 CWK year 2003 if I remember right.

From the day he bought it till the day he retired and sold his assets he loved that machine. Never any hiccups, held tolerances all day, every day and was crazy fast.

I remember him saying "If I can't do the job in the HMC I won't do it at all". True enough, that was the only machine he owned in the end, doing lights out production for Ericsson with pallet pool in a tiny space, only swinging by the shop once every few days to load parts and empty his homemade swarf bin.
He had no employees either so I really mean lights out!

Took his wife on trips across the country while the money rolled in. Crazy old man he was. Few machines around that can handle that. The Heckert could.

The results are in: Do you buy a used Starrag-Heckert ?
They used more than a month to quote me a price on a manual set. And my quote came a few days after I replied to a "Quality control questionaire"...
The price for the manuals on a USB was also way out og wack so... No thank you. Or: NFW!

Back