What's new
What's new

Steady Rest Adusters Sticking - help needed

Kevin T

New member
Steady Rest Adjusters Sticking - help needed

I have a telescoping steady that needs some TLC. The knurled adjusters get sticky and can't be used beyond a certain OD. I wanted to take it apart for a cleaning and see what is binding on the threads but it is really put together! Before I use too much force I figured I better ask first.

P1080257002.jpg

I found this cross section diagram in here that is for a 10K lathe steady. Can I assume the 16 is the same?

Cross Section.jpg

Do I punch out the pin "A" and pull the Screw and Finger out as one? I gave the pin a few love taps to free it but no luck and before I go cro-mag on it here I am.

What is the purpose of "B"? I took the retaining ring off but couldn't extract the key but then when I found this x-section I couldn't understand the purpose.

P1080258003.jpg

Thanks for any help with this I need the steady for the next step of my collet nut!
 
Last edited:

texasgunsmith

Active member
Part C and whats opposite it hold the assembly in main casting, besides keeping finger aligned. But removing those don't help you imo.

Part B is a snap ring that applies minimal pressure to a brass shoe that just appiles a little pressure to threads to give mild resistance so that the knurled handle does not free wheel spin, don't know its a necessary thing, but its there. Maybe so vibration does not easily loosen handle ?

I'm not sure removing part A will help yet. Probably a taper pin. Might remove later depending which thread is dinged, damaged, or dirty.

I think the threads may have mushroomed from bottoming out. Maybe removing part A clarifies which thread is sticky. But my guess is you have to force the unscrewing to solve and address it. If so, i'd try slipping a rubber hose over knurled handle and use channel locks or a pipe wrench to force it, working it back and forth.

I suspect one of the areas marked in red are mushroomed, from bottoming out in the areas marked in green:

283.jpg

Edit: Also removing part C and blasting penetrant down hole to run in slot may help if it reaches threads. But it appears there is a shoe on the bottom of that hole too.
 

Kevin T

New member
Part C and whats opposite it hold the assembly in main casting, besides keeping finger aligned. But removing those don't help you imo.

Part B is a snap ring that applies minimal pressure to a brass shoe that just appiles a little pressure to threads to give mild resistance so that the knurled handle does not free wheel spin, don't know its a necessary thing, but its there. Maybe so vibration does not easily loosen handle ?

I'm not sure removing part A will help yet. Probably a taper pin. Might remove later depending which thread is dinged, damaged, or dirty.

I think the threads may have mushroomed from bottoming out. Maybe removing part A clarifies which thread is sticky. But my guess is you have to force the unscrewing to solve and address it. If so, i'd try slipping a rubber hose over knurled handle and use channel locks or a pipe wrench to force it, working it back and forth.

I suspect one of the areas marked in red are mushroomed, from bottoming out in the areas marked in green:

View attachment 336213

Edit: Also removing part C and blasting penetrant down hole to run in slot may help if it reaches threads. But it appears there is a shoe on the bottom of that hole too.

So I "should" be able to unscrew the thing by hand to get to the fingers? I searched all around and there are tons of replacement fingers but no one talking about any difficulty swapping them in!

EDIT: I just tried another less sticky one and yup...they screw out!
 

SLK001

Active member
Here's the assy drawing for a 16" steady:

attachment.php
 

Kevin T

New member
Thansk guys! Looks like I am out of the woods. I used some penetrant and the stuck one screwed out. It was dry and almost galling. Cleaning underway and I'll be back in action later today.
 

Kevin T

New member
I reported the typo in the title and I am hoping it gets fixed so if someone searches they can find the info.

Some shots of the thing when you screw it off the main casting assy.

P1080261002.jpg

Bores looked good

P1080262003.jpg

If yours isn't jammed up the parts unscrew pretty easy

P1080263004.jpg

I think grease was the culprit here. It must have trapped or collected moisture over the years and led to some corrosion and the source of my problems

P1080266007.jpg

Back in action...

P1080269010.jpg
 








 
Top