What's new
What's new

Steam Engines (Large) Existing in the USA

Update on Marine Engine at Allaire State Park NJ

Quite a while back, I wrote:

"The Allaire State Park in Allaire NJ has the stripped remnants of a marine triple-expansion compound. Only the frame, the cylinders, the crankshaft and the thrust bearing remain. (No heads, pistons or con-rods.) There is no card or plaque announcing the history of this engine."

UPDATE: On a recent visit, I spoke to one of the museum volunteers and he said that the museum has the absent pieces in storage. They are seeking volunteers who could reassemble the machine.

I did notice that the crosshead slides are currently in place, something which I don't recall seeing before.

There is now some explanatory material, including a statement that the engine is the same as the engines in the long gone but fondly remembered excursion steamer City of Keansburg. (I saw that ship at City Island, Bronx NY circa 1977. It was awaiting conversion to a floating restaurant. That plan never came to fruition.)

John Ruth

Another thread on marine steam got me to thinking about the "Peter Styvesant," a Hudson River Steamer which was moored for years at the Anthony's Pier Four Restaurant at Swampscott, MA.

I saw this and was enthralled as about a 10 year old (when my buddy and I had a drinking contest to see how many times the waiter would refill his glass - he was so good - and patient with us - we both got the chance to explore the Men's room more than once!)

I know the Peter Styvesant was swamped in the "Blizzard of '78" and shortly after scrapped. Did anyone have the foresight to save the engine?

Best,
Joe in NH

The seminary in Clayton, Mo apparently has, or used to have, a powerhouse (which they do not use) with two good-sized Corliss engines. A friend has seen them, but I have not, so no direct knowledge. May have been demolished, but I don't recall any demolition there in the last 15+ years.

Then also, I saw just a day or two ago, a picture in the paper from "an old abandoned factory" just across on the East side.... Somewhere near the old stockyards.

The picture was of someone in there looking for the body of his brother, but what I saw in the pic was a large flywheel, at a guess 15 to 18 feet, and what appeared to be a crank and crosshead. Steam, or maybe gas, dunno. Beautiful post and beam factory construction in the building.

They are still out there, and I bet many are forgotten in buildings that have not been torn down yet.

You may already know about these engines? Weighing in at 1,400 tons these 104 feet high triple expansion crank and flywheel water pumping steam engines are the largest ever built. At 1,000 HP they are definitely not the most powerful but probably the largest. The four engines reside at the Greater Cincinnati Water Works. The site is not open to the public but we do conduct privately scheduled tours on a semi regular basis. Details for the tours are available on the web site at Cincinnati Triple Steam (Public Tours Available)

Lee,

This wonderful pump house and engines was mentioned in the first post, but good to see it highlighted again.

I see the Cincinnati home page is now doubly provocative (I have already had a go at them about the "Worlds Largest" claim :))

Now a claim that Hamilton Corliss/HOR built more Corliss engines than any other works....hmm....really....I wonder....I would have thought E.P. Allis, later Allis Chalmers were the biggest...of everything - Corliss engines, (6000+manufactured by 1914). Glad to hear any competing bids :)

Was there a very large stationary steam engine in a museum in Dayton Ohio? I seem to remember it was from National Cash Register. I can not seem to find a reference on line but I might not be searching the correct location.

Was there a very large stationary steam engine in a museum in Dayton Ohio? I seem to remember it was from National Cash Register. I can not seem to find a reference on line but I might not be searching the correct location.

Carillon Park.

Corliss_engine_building_at_Carillon_Park.jpg

Every Day is a Gift: Carillon Park - Part III

P1010624.JPG

Joe in NH

Check out this thread on another board:

Any staker been to Jasper Sanflippo steam museum in Ill? - SmokStak

Fella has quite the private collection. The display @ the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit is pretty amazing too.

I have been to the Sanfilippo Estate once but the Carousel Pavilion with most of the steam engines was not open for the event. The part of the collection that was open is nothing short of amazing. Music boxes and large circus organs in room after room of exhibits. He has a steam locomotive in the yard also. We were there for a theater pipe organ concert in the main residence. This organ has over 8,000 pipes. I hope some time to visit when the Carousel Pavilion is open. It is truly an amazing place.

Bob
WB8NQW

Two that come to mind is the Villaume Corliss engine and the Pabst brewery engine, also another large steam engine in pieces referred to as the Nebraska engine. All in Minnesota at the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion.

This is a very old thread, but there is reference in it (e.g. post #10) to the radial, triple expansion, corliss engines used in various Boston sewage pumping stations.

Here is a video c.1990 featuring one of the East Boston radial engines.

YouTube

There are lots of interesting things to see in this video, including glimpses of some other engines. For example, an 8 cylinder diesel engine and an Ames 4 cylinder uniflow steam engine both driving vertical shaft pumps via right-angle gearboxes and also a smaller Ames horizontal generating engine. Also another radial triple.

Back