What's new
What's new

STS timing belt vs. HTD sprocket compatibility

Futterama

Plastic
Hi forum,

A simple question:

Is a STS timing belt compatible with standard HTD sprockets?

I have standard HTD 5M sprockets in aluminium and my belt supplier sent me some BANDO HP-STS S5M belts by mistake even though I ordered Optibelt Omega HP 5MHP belts. My supplier tries to convince me to use the belts he sent me so he don't have to send me the correct belts. The BANDO belts have similar power ratings as the Optibelt, actually 3% more for my application, but I simply can't find any information as to whether the STS tooth profile is compatible with the HTD tooth profile. The STS belt has a more trapezoid tooth profile (clearly visible on the belt too) where HTD has a curvilinear tooth profile, so I cannot figure out if they are compatible. The tooth spacing matches though.

This document from BANDO is what I have to go on: https://www.bandogrp.com/eng/product/industrial/pdf/ptb_all.pdf
On page 48 (PDF page 26) it says "The HP-STS/HP-HTS belts provide higher torque and higher power transmission than normal trapezoidal teeth" - so they compare with trapezoidal teeth, not curvilinear teeth.
It also says "Pulleys used: HP-STS can be used with the standard STS pulleys and TL STS pulleys" - no mention of HTD pulleys.

Compare that to page 1 in this Optibelt document: https://www.optibelt.com/fileadmin/...mmi/Optibelt-TM-Rubber-Timing-Belt-Drives.pdf
"Optibelt OMEGA timing belts run in HTD and RPP pulleys." - this is what I wanted.

My supplier claims, quote: "the HP-STS belts run on normal HTD pulleys, there isn’t a different pulley for them, the tooth form is what gives them the extra".
But I can't get this backed up by the literature found.

Can you help me?
Thanks.

The belt manufacturer will have technical support, contact them. I would be shocked if the belts are swappable if the tooth form is different. Try to find pictures of the correct mating pulleys to check their tooth forms for comparison.

I have already tried to contact Bando Chemical Industries LTD, Bando USA and BANDO EUROPE GmbH and haven't received any answer from any of them yet. Maybe I could try to use my work email in case they just don't reply to customers with a hotmail email address.

I'm having a very hard time finding a STS pulley but by looking at the 3D images they have on their website, the tooth profile of the sprockets seem very trapezoidal in shape.

Attachments

• 2022-12-05_12-23-24.jpg
    2022-12-05_12-23-24.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1
So, a bit more patience from my side and Bando USA has replied me:

No, the HP-S5M is an S profile tooth, as opposed to the HTD pulleys, which have a slightly different tooth shape. They will run, but not to the expected life duration.

The seller will get it sorted. Luckily this is a new design in the process of gathering components and materials so there is no rush.

Back