What's new
What's new

Stuck reducer sleeve FP1

paul2206

Plastic
I have a stuck MT4 - MT3 sleeve stuck in the spindle of my Deckel FP1 (copy). I have ground some flats on the sleeve and tried holding it with spanner and mole grips giving it a sharp smack in a low gear , but its not budging, any ideas? TIA

I have a stuck MT4 - MT3 sleeve stuck in the spindle of my Deckel FP1 (copy). I have ground some flats on the sleeve and tried holding it with spanner and mole grips giving it a sharp smack in a low gear , but its not budging, any ideas? TIA
Have you tried pushing it out with the draw bar? Deckel adapters all have the buttress thread on them, if it is not then the draw bar won’t work and you have another problem.
Dan

I would run the machine and get the spindle up to temperature and try some of the CRC Freeze-Off, I've had good luck with it!
Have you tried pushing it out with the draw bar? Deckel adapters all have the buttress thread on them, if it is not then the draw bar won’t work and you have another problem.
Dan
Sounds like it's a sleeve, no draw bar thread?

Did you give the out end of the drawbar a good whack with a good size hammer?
Perhaps a 5 pounder and a nice slow solid whack.
If it is a sleeve, the drawbar will not contact it.....

This thread is about the 40 taper sleeve removal!

Kevin

Deckel used a sleeve to adapt the collets from their line of tool grinders, the stuck sleeve is a common problem?
On later adapters there was a nut to aid in removal, even with that it would still be hard to remove in some instances.....

Kevin

I had a stuck 355E adapter in the vertical spindle of my FP2. I hosed it down with some Deep Creep penetrating oil and after a couple of days or so I was then able to free it with a spanner.

Paul, a common problem is stuck adaptors for Deckel 20mm diameter collets. I built a puller to get those out, which I will lend you if that's what's stuck. So are you sure that it's an MT3 sleeve, and not a 20mm collet sleeve?

Is this the vertical head or the horizontal spindle? I suspect that this is a conventional taper adapter and has no threaded ring to help with removal.
I have had a horizontal arbour stuck and it was actually friction welded in so I ended up boring it out and internally grinding the taper.
In your case, if all else fails, get the spindle out of the machine and heat it then cool the inside perhaps with liquid gas and then thump it under a press. Pretty brutal but it is a last resort.
the trouble with mt tapers is that they are driving not locating tapers like internationals

Back