What's new
What's new

Stuck Reversible Jaws on 6" 3 Jaw Lathe Chuck

Static4

Plastic
Hoping for some help with stuck reversible jaws on a 6" Shars 3 jaw.

I've had this chuck for about a year now and I've never been able to reverse the jaws. To clarify the jaw bodies and scroll are fine, just the reversible part of the jaws are stuck... all of them. They are held in by two 6mm socket head cap screws that have been torqued down beyond belief.

I've rounded over one hex key, and broke at least two hardened keys trying to loosen the fasteners. I contacted Shars and they suggested heat, which didn't work.

Anyone been down this road and have any advise removing those socket head cap screws?
It would be really nice to be able to reverse the jaws to grip larger stock.

Thanks,
PXL_20211018_203142567.jpg

If they are that tight suggest you drill out the Allen to remove the head....then you should be able to remove the top jaws and
unscrew the remains of the bolts

Might also try a Allen driver coupled to an impact driver...may get enough advantage to loosen the bolts...
Cheers Ross

I bought a steel body chuck from Shars last year. Had to use my Dewalt 20v Impact wrench with a Apex hex drive socket to break them loose. The socket head cap screws are installed dry with little lubricant. Once out, apply a little never-sleigh to the threads and hand tighten with a new allen wrench. Don't impact them tight!!!!

Success!

Regular cordless impact got 3/6. Took the jaws out, stuck them in a vise and took a torch to the cap screws. I was weary of getting the jaws too hot considering they're hardened... The heat along with a good 6mm allen got the rest, still needed a cheater bar.

All threaded holes and cap screws show rust where they were engaged.
This one's on me for not breaking the thing down the day I got it, gave everything a good deburring, cleaning and oiling... but I'm not convinced they would have came out so easily even on day 1. All in all I'm still happy with this chuck for the money and would recommend (if it came with 5 allen keys that is :rolleyes5:)

PXL_20211019_041039422.jpgPXL_20211019_041133187.jpg

Back