What's new
What's new

Stupid Things I Do

Geez... I could write a couple pages of these, not even sure how I would cull out to pick the best ones.

Times like these REALLY sucked when I was working at other shops, but man do they HURT when they come out of your pocket.

What are the super fast new endmills you were trying? I recently looked at buying some of the helical 7fl 3/8" roughers, but using their book speeds and feeds, they would run at basically the same feeds and speeds as the guhring 4fl roughers I use now. I suppose they would run more quietly?

check out fraisa usa, ask for doug funfsinn, tell him eugene sent you.
amazing tools and the best customer service i've ever seen out of anyone so far.

For roughing, can I recommend you try this tool: Helical Tool

What are you running for speeds and feeds with what material? The ones you linked aren't much faster than the 4fl Guhrings I am running right now? (not apples to apples, since I was programming a 1/4" rougher when you posted and I compared those numbers)

Nothing too remarkable, I drank the koolaide and switched over to YG1 Alu-Power. They seem to be a great compromise between price and performance in my 30 taper machines. I'm not overly demanding 1" deep, 20% radial step-over, 175 IPM at 10k. Pretty happy with the performance... considering I'm swinging the endmill out 1.625 and I'm 5.5 inches above the top of a 5 axis trunnion.
I've been hearing alot about them, next time I need aluminum endmills I will give them a shot.

check out fraisa usa, ask for doug funfsinn, tell him eugene sent you.
amazing tools and the best customer service i've ever seen out of anyone so far.
I was super happy with fraisa customer service and support, but I wasn't really impressed with the tools. My local sales guy came out with some test tools and I spent the morning with him trying them out. A little over 3 hours of testing one operation and we could not get them to run. I spent the remainder of the day trading text messages with one of their apps guys. I had maybe 8 to 10 hours total attempting to get the tools to give a satisfactory finish. In their defense it was a very difficult application, and they really tried their best, I don't fault them at all. The tooling just did not live up to the claims in the book.

I AM however, looking for another opportunity to use some of their tooling in a more standard way. I will at some point use their 7fl 1/2" finisher for a job I have coming up, they claim ground surface finish quality, so I look forward to removing polish work!

To make matters worse, mistakes like that only happen with brand new tools. Never seem to make a simple mistake with a tool thats nearly toast. Anybody else notice this or is it just me?

What are you running for speeds and feeds with what material? The ones you linked aren't much faster than the 4fl Guhrings I am running right now? (not apples to apples, since I was programming a 1/4" rougher when you posted and I compared those numbers)

I've been hearing alot about them, next time I need aluminum endmills I will give them a shot.

I was super happy with fraisa customer service and support, but I wasn't really impressed with the tools. My local sales guy came out with some test tools and I spent the morning with him trying them out. A little over 3 hours of testing one operation and we could not get them to run. I spent the remainder of the day trading text messages with one of their apps guys. I had maybe 8 to 10 hours total attempting to get the tools to give a satisfactory finish. In their defense it was a very difficult application, and they really tried their best, I don't fault them at all. The tooling just did not live up to the claims in the book.

I AM however, looking for another opportunity to use some of their tooling in a more standard way. I will at some point use their 7fl 1/2" finisher for a job I have coming up, they claim ground surface finish quality, so I look forward to removing polish work!

do you remember who you talked/worked with? i'd be curious what kinda application, they've nailed everything i've asked of them so far, but nobody is perfect.

On the manual lathe I consistently seem to mess up the direction when cutting threads. Just can't wrap my head around leadscrew & spindle directions..
As a reminder I now keep a box filled with useless links threaded parts, not that it seems to make a difference.

So I only use that specific endmill when I'm making parts on the bridgeport, as it wouldn't even FIT in over half of my machines (I do Swiss)

But man, when I'm using it to cut up tool steel blocks, I've never felt an endmill that was more free cutting in a manual application, I have to imagine the thing would just RIP in a real VMC.

So I only use that specific endmill when I'm making parts on the bridgeport, as it wouldn't even FIT in over half of my machines (I do Swiss)

But man, when I'm using it to cut up tool steel blocks, I've never felt an endmill that was more free cutting in a manual application, I have to imagine the thing would just RIP in a real VMC.

I was originally looking at the 7fl version since I am about out of roughers. I used Micro 100 for a long time, I bought a large batch of them and the recent ones I bought simply do not last as long. I love Guhring for about everything, and have switched to using their roughers.

What I find interesting, for alloy steel, say 4140 and 8620 , helical lists 390 SFM, and .0025 cpt. Guhring lists 625 sfm and .0036 cpt. So I get 90 ipm with Guhring 4fl vs 50 IPM with Helicals 5fl.

I don't typically do production, so I don't have time or take the time to "prove" out tools. My setups and fixtures and parts vary so much, I run things pretty conservative. The thing I have LOVED about Guhring, I have never had a tool NOT run at their recommended feeds and speeds. A few I have improved for specific applications, but they are the only one.

I tried Garr for awhile, I had multiple tool failures at their book listed speeds and feeds.
Considering Helical, but I am having a hard time understanding going to a higher flute count and getting a lower feed?

do you remember who you talked/worked with? i'd be curious what kinda application, they've nailed everything i've asked of them so far, but nobody is perfect.

Pretty sure it was Doug that I worked with over the phone and through text.

He was great, lots of good input, responsive, happy to help.

What I find interesting, for alloy steel, say 4140 and 8620 , helical lists 390 SFM, and .0025 cpt. Guhring lists 625 sfm and .0036 cpt. So I get 90 ipm with Guhring 4fl vs 50 IPM with Helicals 5fl.

Have you tried putting your specific cut into the Helical Machining Advisor? Could end up significantly faster with HSM and chip thinning accounted for.

Ok- here is mine for the day- write mill program-butt simple profile. Go to run part, and ???? path looks goofy. Recheck program, check part zero 2-3 times. Same problem. Rinse and repeat a few times. Feeling really stupid now. Guess what? Vise was not tightly bolted down- darn thing as scooting along on the table.
That was good for about an hour of wasted effort chasing it. Next.

An hour.. That's nothing. I think I spent at least 3 hours chasing my tail on some very small brass pieces I was trying to turn. Could not figure out why the OD was getting squashed and the tiny boring bar wouldn't bore no matter what I did. G54 set wrong ? No. Tool offset wrong ? No.. Try again. Next part: same thing.
It turned out I was working close to the stroke limit on the chuck and while it held the part fine when stationary it did not when up to 3000rpm. So the parts was just spinning in the jaws all the time, and due to them being so small I could not see that they did not rotate along with the chuck. Stupid me and stupid door interlocks that makes it impossible to see.

Well shoot. I just left the damn flip stop up and smoked it with a cutter. Nice work dummy. After I coached the operator to be sure to always put it down. She left and I took over... Doh.

Happy Friday.

Back